Canadian Air Force Brat's Association Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Canadian Air Force Brat's Association Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PLEASE SIGN UP IF INTERESTED IN A BIG REUNION FOR ALL AIRFORCE BRATS

THIS WILL GIVE US A GOOD IDEA OF WHO WOULD COMMIT AND GO TO A REUNION FOR ALL BRATS:RADAR SITES,OVERSEAS,AND AIR BASES,THEN WE CAN SEE IF IT IS WORTH MOVING AHEAD WITH OR NOT

SO TO START THINGS OFF:

KEN PARKER:NORTH BAY,PORTAGE,OTTAWA,BORDEN

Re: PLEASE SIGN UP IF INTERESTED IN A BIG REUNION FOR ALL AIRFORCE BRATS

I would be interested. Like everyone else it would depend on when. PMQ brats are a vanishing breed. I think what we would really to get it started is like the shampoo commercial you tell 2 friends and so on and so on.

I'm in hopefully I'll see lots from Europe!!!! Also anyone that knew my brother or sisters from Borden or St. Jean.

Yep, I'd be interested for sure !

Bonnie

I'd be interested in a reunion if it was in North Bay!
Sign me up!

It isn't looking good so far folks...maybe 20% i favour and that might be high,spread the word to your friends if this is going to happen in say 2007.

ken

If it is in Victoria, BC or Ottawa I'd go.

Steve campbell

Count me in Ken I think this would be a wonderful chance to meet lost friends. Please keep me posted.

John

This would be great! As we miss out on the high school reunion - what an awesome replacement. I would be willing to help from the Pacific Coast and there are others here in Vancouver who would be willing to get on board!

Count me in as well Ken..... also willing to help.

pat ...currently on the west coast, but lived the life of a brat as follows

Tacoma 51
Lachine 52-53
Trenton 54-57
Goose Bay 57-59
Trenton 59 - 62
St Hubert 62-63
Namao 63-68

Sign my sister & I up. Thats 2 & I have been spreading the word around.

Hi Fellow Brats

After pondering for the last few months, I've decided that it is worth taking a shot at organizing an 'all' brat reunion here in North Bay for the summer of 2007. It would be nice to see what type of response I get before getting into it too deeply.

And for Ken, hey buddy, I've talked to Greg and he said he'd give me a hand with it. Any other brats in North Bay or the surrounding area, please get in touch with me. I'll be looking for lots of assistance.

Cheers...Chris

Ok...count me in! I helped on the committee for the
Widdifield School reunion and it's alot of work, but
this will be worth it if I get to meet up with some
old friends.
Carol

I am very interested although I don't get here often. My sister (Janice) & I would love to attend (depending on location of course...North Bay is OK with us). Bases as follows: Parent, PQ, Edgar, ON, Borden, Foymount, ON, 3 Wing, 1 Wing, AFCENT, Ottawa (s), Edmonton, Downsview, Holberg, BC, Edmonton, Downsview & now Brampton.

suggestion for reunion

This is a suggestion to help find and inform people of a
brat reunion in North Bay. For those who are registered
at Classmates site and Gradfinder, you could post notices
on schools that have accomodated military brats. This
would help to get the word out there. I have already
posted a notice at Paul Davoud School on Gradfinders.com
as this is a free site. I don't have a membership at
Classmates, but maybe someone here does. Hope others can
help!

I would be interested. Please let me know

Kathy

Sounds good. If anyone does have a classmates some of us out. Was in St. Jean and am trying to get hold of Danielle dickinson nee Lavigne. Her dad was at CMR a captain. If anyone can help me out please reply. Lets get going on this reunion it's to good an idea to pass up.

I would be interested. Living in the Lower Mainland, BC and have contacts with parents and children who lived in St.Hubert, and St. Bruno. Of course, support depends on when and where, but I will mention it to those I know.
JM

Areunion would be great. My sisters and I would go. You never know who you run into.

Sounds good if its in Ontario especially.

Cindy Hodgins - Chatham, 1 Wing, Uplands, Gypsumville, Shearwater,
Paul Kreitzer - too many to name...Duluth, North Bay, Trenton, Borden, Downsview, Gypsumville, Shearwater

Cindy and Paul: when were you guys in Uplands and North Bay....i was at both myself.

I have always though of a reunion, but what a logistical nightmare. Brats are covering a larger age spread. There seems to be baby brats, grand brats and greatgrand brats out there as well as us in between brats, and there use to be so many bases. But, just to be in the company of brats again, would be great.

Don (Cold Lake and part of the Fort Saskatchewan (Namao) Brat Pack)

I disagree as there are fewer "brats" today. One of the things that contributed to us being brats was our segregation from the locals, eg our own hockey baseball schools teen centres dances lived in PMQ's etc. The so called brats of my kids generation have no link to the other brats, they couldn't even identify those whom they go to school with as being other brats. They don't seem to have that sense of belonging to an outcast group that we did. My boys have no desire to have anything to do with the base. They've only actually lived for 4 years of their lives in PMQ's (18/20 yrs old) and between the 2 of them have spent 4 years in a DND school. It is my feeling that the Brat movement has well passed it's peak having probably been phased out with the closing of the schools in Baden and Lahr. Do you agree?

I agree, Times have changed with civie life so close at hand with the newer brats. I did my high school in a civie one and had a hard time adjusting. But then again that was in the mid 70's and I think at that time the brat culture was starting to change. Bases were closing down and base brat numbers were not growing as they seemed to have stopped building PMQ's and started ripping them down. But to have a reunion for all brats? Man-O-man, we have brats well into their 60's or even 70's to brats straight out of school. I think a reunion would be great, but it would probably have to age focused. I was never overseas, but most of my friends were and they were all the same age as me. So a Lahr or Baden reunion wouldn't appeal to me, but a 1958,+- a few years, brat edition reunion just may. Would I travel out east for it? Maybe. Anything to get out of Ft McMurray.

Don

Again, I'm in! Dave Thompson, Niagara Falls, ON - afcent@sympatico.ca Email me Ken, maybe we can talk about this. I have no problem getting at it to help you out.

Not sure there is even enough interest.Looks like roughly 25-30 responses in a two year period.To bad as I think it would be a great time had by all.Even a veterans day reunion for any who served in the Canadian Forces and their families (dependants...lol)

Just found this site. Very interested in a re-union.
We need to get more people knowing about this site. I was at Portage and Goose Bay, and Aylmer. There are a few people on classmates sites.

Welcome Sharon ;) I was in Portage from 75-79. Never knew there was a base in Almyer...lol. Not sure if anyone else knos but I have heard "North Port" used in terms of Portage and all my relatives on my mother's side are there and I never saw another base yet another airfield.

Ken Portage was known as SOUTHPORT. Aylmer was a base back in 1958 (I guess that dates me) We had to be bused to a school off base in a small town. Too many years ago I don't remember the town.
Sharon(Hallam) Hunter

Yes, I know portage was southport as I lived there but I have heard people use the phrase"northport" so not sure of what they were talking about.They tore down the base school,not sure if you knew that or not,just a plaque there now.

Hi all - another brat just finding the site. I was in Borden from 71-73 and 1977. I would be very interested in reunion - I can travel. Love to see old friends. If anyone recognizes me, please get in touch.

Ken, have been thinking about the mention of Northport I think that was what Portgage (city/town) was referred to.

I keep thinking of this Northport and wondering if anyone remembers a MacDonald base which I think might be the Northport

I too was in Portage/Southport. With the Trans-Canada as the separation; I recall that Gimli was considered Northport.

DEFINATELY!!! And if you can find the Pike boys, Stee and Stuart, Blair Bibeau, Diane ouellette, Nancy Young, Danny Roy .... Bagotville 70's gang .... it'd be a bonus ... oh yeah, lol ... Chantal Hamel. Take care. Cheeers Been BOrden too , Ottawa ....... living in Ottawa now ...

Count me and my sister Susan in. St. Jean, Crumlin,Bagotville,Cold Lake, Uplands, Marville,Clinton.I will also pass it on.

http://assets.bravenet.com/common/images/forum/icons/set111.gif

Imagine, been using computers for the last 20 years and never knew this site was there. It's sad to think of all the "lost" time.

A reunion would be wonderful! My problem is I can't remember the full names of all my former friends - I remember Bob, Marilyn, Dennis and so forth, but not surnames. None-the-less, count me in for a reunion.

My bratdom days began in 1949 in Centralia, then North Luffenham 1953 to 1955, followed by a short stay in Zweibrukken, lived in Ste. Cecile (Belgium) 5 miles from Florenville where I caught the RCAF bus to school at the Chateau de St. Jean (France) until the PMQ's finally emerged from the mud in Marville. We came back to Canada in 1956 and were posted to Namao (Lancaster Park) till my final move to Uplands in 1960.

Talk about long-winded! I'll stop and await further messages.

Thanks,

Danny

Hi thanks for your response and thoughts.The chat board has been quiet for a while and there really only seems to be about 30 folks serious when I thought the response would have been over wellming.Who would have thought only about 15-20% would be up for an all bases all brats reunion,tables from all bases etc,and a good dance a walk arounds.

Re: suggestion for reunion

...in response to Sharon Hunter.
Macdonald was a base a lonnnnggg time ago. It is NW of Portage La Prairie on the Yellowhead Highway 16. Then it was a Hutterite Colony for a long time(the whole 10 or so years I lived in Portage(not on the base))and now I don't know what it is. My dad was stationed there before I was even thought of.

Heh Ken, unfortunately there seems to be a general malaise about commitment to these reunion ideas and I don't know why. It's almost like people are really trying to distance themselves from their military backgrounds. I know from experience (planned a reunion three years ago) that they are good for the soul and heart, but way too many people find reasons (excuses) not too attend, instead of putting forth the effort to attend. Let your idea die a quick death, save yourself a lot of time and effort and stick to searching and plying the internet. Cheers, Dave

well I kind of agree with dave on this but I would be in if we were able to get one going...maybe invite some "military brats" to swell the numbers as it has been a while since there were strictly "air force" bases and so on

This would be so awesome I would love something like this
I can also be found on facebook

I have to agree with Dave's comments about getting reunions going. We discovered our first reunion several year ago while visiting family in Ottawa but were not able to attend because the gathering was taking place very shortly after our vacation plan required us to depart the fix.

A second reunion opportunity is in the making for Metz in Oct 09 but once again our own vacation plans are getting in the way so we will miss this gathering as well, even though we will be in the neighbourhood so to speak.

We tend to plan our vacations well in advance (must be an old age thing) and are often forced to make vacation decisions that will force us to miss reunion gatherings. Reunion gatherings are often announced many years in advance but, unfortunately, often with dates that are not cast in concrete and with little information on what is being planned. By the time the volunteers do get around to settng out firm dates and planned activities we often find our own travel plans are cast in concrete.

I do not envy the volunteer planners task of making a reunion gathering interesting for all who might be in attendance. Guided tours of the old stomping grounds are always fun, as are the standard dinner dances (assuming the attendees actually know one another or remember how to dance ). But other than that, what does one plan that might attract attendees and justify the often considerable expense in attending said reunion?

Jim

An All Division Reunion is planned and here is the web site
www.AirDivisionReunion2013.webs.com

This site maybe has died, I don't know. I think if you have a reunion it would have to be by base. I did Whitehorse, Centralia, Gimili and Dana. Please let me know if anything new is happening.