Return to Website

Edaville Railroad Discussion Forum

Welcome to the Edaville USA Discussion Forum. This forum is open to anyone who wants to post a message, but the following rules apply: 1. All materials must be Edaville-related, whether current or historical; 2. Postings must be positive and upbeat and; 3. No personal attacks will be tolerated. The moderator reserves the right to delete postings and to ban people from using the discussion forum. Any blatant misuse of this discussion forum may result in this forum become a password-protected discussion group, which would require participants to be approved before posting mesages. PLEASE DO NOT MISUSE THIS DISCUSSION GROUP!

Edaville Railroad Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: STEAM IN 2010

So happy to hear this! Running steam is not easy (look at the Cog RR!) and the FRA hasn't made it any easier. Is there a chance it could be ready earlier for the Cranberry Fest (as in, not sure at the moment)?

Is this the Anne Elizabeth or something different?

I am VERY happy to hear this! Good for Edaville!

Fireguy1953
Is this the Anne Elizabeth or something different?

I would assume so. Recently the website had said something along the lines of "the Anne Elizabeth is nearing its final stage of restoration." Although it would be something to see B&H #8 back at Edaville (as I've heard there is no chance, whatsoever, of even a day that #7 would come back).

In a related story, Trains magazine had a feature that the Grand Canyon Railroad is now using waste vegitable oil to power one of its steam locomotives. Providing that their experiment works (and so far it seems it has) and the Hudswell can undergo this conversion, would Edaville consider this in a few years?

I think this is wonderful the locomotive is coming back. I remember initially when the locomotive was restored some balked at the idea of a non American loco, but I think its great. I remember when Edaville Entertainment first bought the loco, they said its one of a few left in the world.

I wouldn't worry so much about steam yet. The most important thing is to have some track to run on. Once that is accomplished then steam would be a nice addition.

If I want to ride behind a diesel locomotive then it would make much more sense for me to ride the Downeaster to Portland or MBTA commuter rail to Boston then out to other cities. Ride all day without going over the same track. May as well have speed, AC, WiFi, as well as a much longer ride.

Edaville was nice when there was steam and the nice ride around the reservoir and some historic static displays to look at.

5 and a half miles of narrow gauge steam in a very nice area was nice. When you weren't on the train there were plenty of things to look at.

Now in order to experience that you need to go up to WWF in Maine.

Otherwise if you want to take the kids on a train ride behind diesel, the T offers a lot of opportunities. The Downeaster is a nicer ride. If you want to have some real fun then consider the Acela.

Driving out of your way for a mile and a half of diesel powered narrow gauge just doesn't make much sense. Spend the money at an amusement park and ride a real train another day.

Jennifer brings up some interesting points from an adults perspective on train travel. As a narrow gage enthusiast however, I would be on the road in a minute if someone reopened the old two-foot rail loops at Pleasure Island, Freedomland or Steam Village. Yes, there is something special about a ride behind a steam locomotive. But, when you study the history of some of the gas-mechanical or diesel equipment used on the two-footers today, the significance of this equipment is important as well.

Where/What was Steam Village?