Return to Website

Edaville Railroad Discussion Forum

Welcome to the Edaville USA Discussion Forum. This forum is open to anyone who wants to post a message, but the following rules apply: 1. All materials must be Edaville-related, whether current or historical; 2. Postings must be positive and upbeat and; 3. No personal attacks will be tolerated. The moderator reserves the right to delete postings and to ban people from using the discussion forum. Any blatant misuse of this discussion forum may result in this forum become a password-protected discussion group, which would require participants to be approved before posting mesages. PLEASE DO NOT MISUSE THIS DISCUSSION GROUP!

Edaville Railroad Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Use of old loop

If it's not economically feasible to run track around the reservoir again maybe the old right of way can be used as a walking path. Like any historic right of way, the old loop should be marked in one way or another.

Another possibility would be to lay light rail and use pedal or electric rail riders and allow people to go around the old loop, as much as possible on something like that.

That would be something quite unique to Edaville.

Lighter rail than what you would use to run trains would work.

Less maintenance would be required because the vehicles are light compared to an engine and cars.

To keep the track clear of weeds a lawnmower mounted on flanged wheels would do the trick.

I suggest that relaying the loop around the big reservoir be done in standard gauge because of the wider array of equipment available in standard gauge. However, 2 or three foot gauge could be used as well.

To close the loop there would need to be some parallel track between the two loops. Up where the houses were built where Mt. Urann was would need to be closed as well.

A third rail could be used to accommodate both gauges if that was desired.

At any rate, electric rail riders with pedals and electric motor would be very unique. A trailer with two wheels could be towed behind for children.

I figure the cost of each rider would be about $2000 with electric motor and batteries. They could probably be built by your shop. An aluminum lightweight frame, polyethelene wheels, seats from walmart, and bicycle parts for the rest.

They work quite well.

I can hook you up with someone who has one, it's standard gauge but you guys could meet up with him and check it out.

If that is out of the question, a hot topped or hard packed dirt bike trail following the old right of way would be nice. You can always make some cash with bike rentals.

Re: Use of old loop

I'm not sure people realize why the ride had to be shortened. It seems as if people still think this is something the owners of Edaville "wanted" to do or it was "economically feasable." It was never ever the case. Rebuilding the old loop as it was is now impossible. Edaville considered shortening the loop only slightly, but the application process itself was very expensive as the rails over there run through wetlands, and there was no guaruntee Edaville was going to be allowed permission. There was an idea that the landlord wanted to build a campground which would involve extending the current ride to be a bit longer, but I believe that plan is on hold. Some of the old track is left up untill around Cranberry Lake Park, but use of that would involve backing up or the use of two engines. Rails from the other side of Mt. Urann were used to build the new loop, so I think the ride-of-way remains but there is no track.

Unfortunately this situation show utter incompetence on the part of the ownership and leadership. A competent management would have put the new track in place before canibalizing and selling off the old track. Its called looking before you leap. Current ownership and management are clearly not up to the job of running edaville and have thus scaled it back to something that they can even still barely handle.

I am disgusted by their lack of foresight and common sense.

Eda must be turning over in his grave.

I love the fact that some people think they know everything. Back in the 90's when Edaville was for sale you should have bought it, that way you could do what you want with it. Also not to get confused by the ownership/management position. The current owner/operator of the park (who leases the land) has no say in the length of the track since when they started leasing the plans where already in place. I for one love the new layout for my children, I felt the longer loop to be boring!

I bet Ellis is happy with the fact that the park is still running and people are still enjoying it.

Great Job to everyone who works there!

While I disagree with your thoughts regarding the length of the loop of track, you're absolutely right Sally, however, I think no matter how many times we tell detractors the truth of that happen, they will continue to believe Rob and Brenda hatched this awful plan to shorten the loop, never mind that Rob and Brenda basically didn't have a choice, no, according to them this was all their doing. On a side note, I'm thrilled that it looks like like #21 will ride the rails again. I also find that some railfans have a double standard to Edaville. They give the OK for other tourist railroads to not use steam as much given recent costs and insurance have skyrocketed, but criticize Edaville for doing the same.