Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cleoma Falcon Created a got dam Maelstrom

I have found Allons A Lafayette pretty easy to play on accordion, in whatever key that is, but I can get pretty tripped up Lafayette two Step's turn.

Dam Boudreaux, now that's what I call a complete and thorough breakdown! If the braves of the bravenet haven't learned "Allons a Lafayette" yet from this post, then I don't know what else can be done for them. If they choose to ignore all what has been said, they will be missing out.

Cleoma does hit that "D" chord on guitar. It's there. What makes me think that Cleoma was not an accomplished guitar player was her single beat strum rhythm. Or, that might have been the only kind of guitar rhythm she was aware of in her time period. She's not doing the 3 stroke rhythm on the guitar that good Cajun guitar players play today and have in the past. She was on rhythm with her single beat style, but she fell short with being on key or on the right chord at all times. I don't think she was a genius when it came to Cajun music. Maybe she hadn't been playing guitar for that long when they recorded. I think they both weren't familiar with playing this twisted version of "Jeune Genes de la Campagne" together.

It is one hell of a conundrum of a song. Much can be learned from it.

Hey Greezy,

That point of view of yours is very interesting.

Cleoma does hit the D chord, but I'm pretty sure she does it only when Joe sings. When he plays, she seems to follow the C and G accordion chords. As you mention, she misses on one notable chord change. Right when the first accordion solo ends and Joe starts singing the first verse, Cleoma chills on the G chord when she should hit a C. Interestingly, she probably realizes her mistake at this very moment and hits a quick D chord (when Joe sings "pour changer..." to smooth out the transition to the following G chord. IMO this on the spot improvisation demonstrates a great sense of musicianship. To my ears, there's no other mistakes in the tune. Some chord choices might be interpreted as weird - especially for our modern calibrated ears - though. Most notably, choosing to backup the accordion part with mostly C chords, when the actual song is mostly in G adds a tension that is unusual.

Greezy, I beg to differ regarding your assessment of Cleoma's guitar skills tho. IMO she does a wonderful job. The rhythm is steady and solid, which really is all it counts!

Could you please elaborate on the 1 stroke pattern / 3 stroke pattern thing? I'm really not at all familiar with this nomenclature.

I think Cleoma (like most pioneers of guitar backup, whether it is Cajun or Old Time) was playing open chords thumb / upstroke style (the thumb playing the 1 and 3 beats on the low strings and the index or middle finger playing the 2 and 4 beats on the treble strings, in an upward movement, hitting the highest string first then the B and G strings). It is a very different style than the modern approach which is playing barre chords with the left hand and strumming with a pick on the right hand.

I also wondered about the "impromptu" nature of the "Allons a Luafette" recording. That's exactly how I thought before I investigated the tune more deeply. The tension and unusual chord changes might give an impression of unpreparedness. However, I honestly doubt they would have played a number they wouldn't have been familiar with. The missed chord change at the beginning was more likely a consequence of stress rather than amateurism.

Boudreaux, it sounds like she's banging her strings from top to bottom with no upstroke. She's one stroking it over and over again. That's what I meant. That's the way I played rhythm for Cajun music when I first started with the guitar. I didn't know better. Hell, I'd even stroke that big string at the top when I was playing all the chords. I found out later, I was only supposed to use that big top string for the "G" chord or picking it individually for the base backup in between chord strokes. I learned this after watching Christine Balfa play rhythm and base on the same guitar. Never could do what she can, but I come close enough. I seldom play guitar when the Cajun music breaks out. It's not my preference. My old mentor would not tolerate the rhythm guitar while he played accordion. The guitar player had to be real good for him to allow it. He specifically mentioned that if the guitar player didn't know the song well or wasn't too good and hit the wrong note on that guitar, it sometimes would make him (the old man) automatically switch to playing a different song on the accordion. It would mess with his ears he said. So instead, he preferred playing the living hell out of those base seconds on his accordion.

Greezy I'm pretty sure Cleoma plays in the old fashioned thumb style. Thumb plays the bass ("boom") and index plays the chord ("chuck") in an upward movement. No flatpick (perhaps a thumbpick + fingerpick?). Never seen anyone play like this these days, but that was the norm in the old days. It's a very percussive style.
Yep, a bad backup can f*** up a tune in no time.

Well said Nedro. I guess it comes off as such, but I'm not trying to discredit Steven Riley totally. I am however, using his name and what he has done as an example. Remember, I personally loved Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys. Bought every CD up to the 10th CD. Would follow them around like a lost kitten. I was there the night they got fired from ever playing again at the Whiskey River Landing.(I got the first hand scoop from the owner of the place.) I learned to play just like Steve Riley for many of those songs he redid. Then I had an epic realization when YouTube started to get hot on Cajun music. I realized that there were all kinds of accordion players mimicking Steve Riley, and I suddenly felt stupid for having done the same thing. I watched and listened as Kevin Naquin shamelessly copied Steve Riley's style lick for lick and actually re-recorded Steve Riley's songs on several of his own CD's. I mean really, how low can you actually go? I started to feel like I was in accordion hell! I told everyone I quit playing accordion and I saved them up high on the top shelf of our spare room closet so it was out of sight. I sold that got dam confounded Bb flat accordion as soon as I could because it represented Steve Riley. I had no other reason to have spent so much money on a Bb accordion.

After 5 years I began to get the itch. I was missing my accordion again. I grabbed it one day, my old reliable "D" accordion, and begin to play the original, traditional way I first learned to play, and a got dam lightning bolt went off in my head. Play the old style and only the old style! The style of the common old farmer / accordion player. The style that first attracted me to the accordion. The style of my Grandfather. His style was the style of the true masters. The True Accordion Kings.

And thanks for saying that Steven Riley learned from Marc Savoy. I never wanted to say that because I wasn't sure. I know Marc personally, and he never mentioned not once, not ever, to me or anyone else in the circle that he taught Steven how to play. But I knew Steven hung around him in his novice years. Someone purposely groomed Steve Riley to become an icon. I got dam well know he didn't learn what he learned from any of those cheesy, vague accordion instruction videos that these supposed Cajun accordion masters put out these days and back then. All designed to keep you chasing a carrot on a stick that you'll never catch. All designed to make you want more and be willing to pay for the next one. Steve Riley did the exact same thing with his instruction video. You shall know them by their works.

Just thought to rap it up with a documentary of the Falco'ns.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!