Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Antonelli reeds

They have too much bass. Reed is long.

You are aware that Antonelli and Salpa merged and their reeds are named Voici Armoniche now? If these are the reeds that you are inquiring about, then here is MY opinion: compared to Binci, the Voici reeds are slightly more "shrill". They have a bit more mid and high end "bite" compared to Binci. They lack the low end "growl" that you get in the Binci's when pulling on the top 3 buttons. The Voici's are slightly smaller ( shorter in length ). Because the Binci's are larger, they tend to be able to sustain more "abuse" ( excessive air pressure ) before breaking, but then that's not much of a factor for me. If you know how to use the air by-pass correctly, you may well never break a reed. I've been playing professionally for over 30 years and haven't broken a reed yet. So it all comes down to your preference on tone. Hope this gives you useful info.

adding confusion

Hate to throw some confusion in the mix, but I figure if I'm confused, I'll try to make sure everyone else is, too. I have on hand one set of Voici Armoniche D reeds. They are larger than Binci D's, in fact they are the same size as Binci C reeds, especially on the low set. I also have on hand one set of Cagnoni C reeds, which I was told by a well know builder, are bigger than Binci, mine are not only smaller than Binci, but they are shorter by quite a bit.

So, with each company, there are different dimensions for each key, and it depends on who ordered them, and what that company had available. Apparently sometimes, certain folks can talk a reed company into making reeds to certain specs, then that may not be available later. I know that was the case with Binci. So if you buy all your reeds from Greg Mouton, you're liable to get them a certain size, but if you buy some from someone else, like I did, you may possibly get some different dimensions. On top of that, there are different profiles and shaps.

Re: reed size

This is actually important info.

Because if you wanted to change a C box to D or D to C you might be able get and install a set of reeds that are the same size (although different key) and save a lot of work in cutting or filling the reed boxes.

DP

Re: reed size

True, just not sure how available the various sizes are. I may have 2 oddities.

Yes, that's right the companies merged but the reeds they make make apparently do not sound like the original Salpas.

My C-accordion build by Junior Martin is equipped with Antonelli reeds.
It was a Bb (Binci) and the reeds were changed to C(Antonelli) by a friend. He said that the Antonelli reeds were stronger than Binci, so it would take a longer time to play them in pieces.
I thought that Nout did something with the old Bb reeds.
At link#2 you can hear us play a song with that accordion. Link#3 brings you to the website from the manufacturer Voci Armoniche (Antonelli & Salpa)
I'm very satisfied with the sound of my C accordion.

What actually happens when a reed "breaks"? Does it get bent too much for repair or does the tongue actually break off?

The reed starts cracking side to side, usually toward the rivet end. A break is usually pre warned by a wonky sound from the reed. I have owned 54 accordeons. I have never broken a reed.

I have had 3 accordeons with Binci reeds and about 20 with Antonellis.

Here is another differentiation..
The majority of the Antonelli reeds found on boxes in the US are "tipo a mano" not "a mano"..
Castaganari, considered by many to be the best production box made, use "tip a mano" Antonellis as standard.. Bincis on request. Hand made Antonellis on request.

The majority of Binci reeds are true "a mano".. not "tipo a mano" so an apples to apples comparison is not usually a fair comparison.

Also reed sellers are prone to sell Antonelli "tipo a mano" at the same price as Binci "a mano"..
If you are buying Antonellis...ask if they are "tipo a mano" or "a mano".. pay a fair price.

I personally prefer Antonelli "tipo a mano" , however this is also a matter of the tuner who sets and tunes the reeds, and because I am used to them.

He has other you tube videos.

This is a CASTAGANARI in 12TET, not "just" (Cajun)tuning

Key of "D"

Seems to be very air efficient.

Small, tight, fast, loud, excellent/flawless workmanship, excellent resale, hard to get, worth the money and the wait.

Removeable reed blocks for ease of construction and service.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!