Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Red Pine density

Depends on what you mean by "good", and I'm not sure anymore what part density plays. I heard one made of red pine by Larry Miller, and it sounded good.

I'm still wondering what influence the wood has on sound. If I may believe Marc Savoy, the wood question is only a matter of weight and cosmetics, and not of sound.

I'm not entirely sure about the wooden shell making a difference either. My Hohner in D is obviously made from some kind of soft wood, seeing how easy the screw holes strip out, but the thing is LOUD. Much louder than any other Hohner accordion I have. Although, not as loud as my Doucet with Hohner reeds.

I just wonder how good it is for structural stability. Obviously one can have an accordion made from anything, and it'll stay safe, if the person is careful, but can red pine withstand a lot of wear and tear, like taking apart and putting back together again. Will it ding easier, etc.

Walnut strips pretty easy, I found out the hard way, years ago. Thank God for toothpicks to fix the problem (or at least temporarily, til it all falls out, but that's not a problem if you have more)

Yeah, the sound thing will be debated forever. I personally think it affects the sound, even if it is minor.

As a woodworker, it is probably very stable, and fine structurally, but I don't think there is much question that woods like red pine will not take use and abuse like harder woods. I've started inserting hardwood dowels and strips where screws go when I make one out of a softwood.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!