Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: beginner instrument.

D is perfect for cajun playing and more, most players start with a C. Though i think it's a nine key accordion ... Nout

Steve letendre
Hmmmm...I checked out the accordion on craiglist you directed me to. Very interesting.....but.....it's in the key of D and I've been told to buy an instrument in the key of C since most music is played in that key that is available. Well, obviously, I don't know if that's true or no. Can anyone provide some guidance on this? Thanks.

Ds are great for Cajun music, but that vast majority of cajun songs are played on a C. If you have any desire at all to go to Augusta, Balfa camp, or come down to Louisiana to play at some of the regular jams, you will have to bring a C accordion. Also, most people find it easier to sing to a C box rather than a higher pitched D. Whoever told you to get a C first was right. Get a C first and if you like playing the music than you can get a D or even a Bb later.

Seller advised me that he had sold the box. The would-be buyer posted on Craigslist last week that he sent the money but never got the accordion.

ah, thought so, something was amiss ... just like this car i bought from craighslist poster:

- Nout

Re: Buying a used Diatonic........

Stay away from Craigs list. Nothing but scammers. Use Ebay if you must but you should buy from a dealer. The Button Box in MA is an excellent dealer. They sell the Weltmeister Cajun and can get you a C box. Try Gabbanelli, they have them in stock.If you buy the Gabbanelli, get Tip A Mono reeds. If you are low on funds then try Marc Savoy, he might have a used box for sale. Good luck.

As for Button Box the Weltmeisters there are quite expensive compared to europe, even the Cajun tuned ones. It's quality is just not good enough to justify 1200 U$D, and the reeds are not as tough as binci's and the sound is mediocre .... A Gabinelli probably would be a far better choice, if coming from texas and fitted with a better class reeds. - Nout

Thanks for the insight!!! A lot to do. Steve

CL is OK

There is nothing wrong with buying off of Craigslist, but you must buy local. If you can't drive over and look at and play the instrument, forget it.

It's not worth it.

Never buy off of craigslist and have something shipped.

DP

Just purchase a NEW Gabbanelli Cajun King. It will last long enough for you to cut your teeth. If your gums become infected, it's your's to keep in the corner of your closet as a reminder that your head was there but your heart wasn't but you're not out of a lot of money... just low T levels and disinterest in taking on any new hobbies.

Here's the link... http://gabbanelli.gostorego.com/accordions/cajun-king.html

Go get 'em.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!