Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Starting Them Young

Meet young Jack Ziesemer, ags 2 1/2.He started playing the mandolin at 1, and is obsessed with music and musical instruments. Of course, I am steering him in the Right Direction.

His parents are Greg Ziesemer and Kriss Luckett Ziesemer, both well known local singer-songwriters. At my suggestion they are planning to bring Jack to Festival Acadien in the fall for his first immersion in Cajun music and culture. I believe it will stick.

Re: Starting Them Young

I think it is great when parents involve their children in music. Hope they enjoy the festival and who knows, there may be another prodigy in the making.

Re: Starting Them Young

Kids raised in a musical family--such as this, a professional musical family--are fortunate in that they are immersed, so that playing music WILL likely "stick." I'm always trying to entice my kids with music--and they love to sing with me. My kids hear me playing music most every day--but they are also busy with KID stuff...so they're not immersed the way they would be if they had to come to gigs and festivals with me (perhaps they will later--they're just 7 years old now). Unless I'm playing THEIR music (fun, kid's songs, or silly songs I make up)--if I'm playing blues on the accordians...even if I'm playing Irish on fiddle or flute...or even "oompah loompah" or the theme from "the Little Rascals" on clarinet...they say, "please stop dad!"

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!