Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gator by the Bay was great - San Diego

Went Friday night and Saturday. Some good Cajun accordian playing there. They must have thought I was some kind of zombie freak because I wasn't dancing in front of the band, I was standing off to the side and just staring at the accordian players hands! Kristi Guillory from Bon Soir Catin was playing a CREOLE in D built by Guidry. Steve Riley had 2 ACADIANS. Jon Grant from San Diego Cajun Playboys had a POINTE NOIR. It was good to hear the "live" ornamentation of the tunes I knew. It sucked that Christine Balfa wasn't there. But her stand in, who was married to some dude named Joel Savoy (!?!) did just fine. I didn't go Sunday, but had wanted to meet Mr. Sousa.
I went there to hear and learn some more about playing Cajun accordian and that part was a 100% success. Now, it's back to you tube for another year. BTW, I get Streaming radio through my computer from KEUN (Eunice, LA) on Saturdays. They play Cajun music all day.
..Ah, the good times is killin' me!"

Re: Gator by the Bay was great - San Diego

Don't forget, there is a Cajun festival up in Simi Valley. I think it is in June. I went a couple years ago when I lived in Los Angeles and it was great. There is also a festival in Long Beach, I think it is in August. Try to get to see Dave Sousa, he is very knowledgable and can help you. You may also want to join the Bon Temps Social Club in San Diego, they hold regular Cajun/Zydeco dances in the area. Check them out if you haven't already done so. Here is their web site: http://www.icajunzydeco.com/ Good hunting.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!