Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
cajun accordion

My Uncle Cecil LeBlanc (Lafayette) made 14, high-quality accordions, by all professional accounts...My family has most of them and i am trying to get the value of mine...obviously, local competitors are of no help...Maybe someone out there can give me some direction?

Re: cajun accordion

imho, value could only really be established by observing a sale/auction of a unit...

that being said, for insurance purposes... I would establish valuation towards the top end of todays prices, assuming they are in good order... that valuation would at least allow you to replace them if something goes terribly wrong...

How old is it? Condition? What kind of reeds?

It was made in 1998 and the 13th of only 14 made...its in mint condition...Never played. i may have an hour of just goofing around (i do not play accordion).,,my brother says the reeds are from italy...The Savoy's were related to my uncle and taught him the craft.
Hope this helps!
Rob

you'll at least have to post some pictures for anyone to guess

either that or have someone who really plays and lives down there try it out

a middle of the road new accordion would be $2000 at least

older isn;t better though, unfortunately

wild guess - $1350

your uncle didn;t make enough of them for anyone to say 'oh yeah i know those accordions'

wle

I'm close to Larry on this one. Lack of brand exposure and age are against you. I'm guessing $1,000 to $1,200.

If you are located where the buyer can play the instrument, you could add another $150 if the box measures up.

It's risky buying an accordion in the dark, thus buyers are stingy without hands-on playing. As-is long distance sales can be difficult for both parties.

You've gotten some good advice. Gonna be real hard to get a value on an older accordion made by someone few know, especially without pictures. I recommend getting some good pictures, including close ups of the keyboard and the inside. Seeing the workmanship and the type of reeds will go a long way. Knowing the reeds are made in Italy does very little for Cajun music fans, but the exact brand may help desirability a lot.

But in the end, as was mentioned, any accordion made by any one other than a well know builder, will have a lot of understandable reservation among buyers who can't play it.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!