Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Marc Savoy Acadian Cajun Accordion For Sale

Please don't give up on the accordion. You have one of the best on the market. As for instruction, try Big Nick's "Learn to Play Cajun Accordion" DVD series. He is an excellent teacher and it is how I learned when living in Los Angeles. He has a web site for beginners called Big NIck Box Lessons. You will find helpful tips on how to hold the box and how to play scales. There is a surprising amount of Cajun/Zydeco music in California. There are groups down in San Diego who sponsor regular dances. You already play music, based on your web site, so it won't be difficult to learn Cajun Accordion. Ask members of this group for help. There is Dave Sousa out in Redlands who may be able to help you. He is a member of this group. Don't give up yet. All is not lost for you.

I am the ONLY Cajun accordion player/student in Texarkana, TX. This forum, Big Nick's and the You-Tube videos have been my teachers for a year now. Yet, I'm getting there!

You've got an instrument that most would envy, and you're in a more fertile locale than most. Think about hanging in there. It's really fun and personally rewarding!

If you're dead set on baling out, what key is the box?

I'll ditto what the other two responders have said. I've been learning basically on my own for about 8 months now and Big Nick's DVDs have been instrumental in my learning and improving. I'd suggest giving it a try, you've got a great accordion there.

I'll ditto on everyone also. I've been going on 4 years now (I think) with absolutely nobody else with whom to play (in Eugene, OR now). It's frustrating at times, but man.. I sure love coming home from a hard day at work and gettin' on it.

John in Oregon

Thanks for the encouragement! I have watched hundreds of youtube videos and listened to CDs with speed slowed down and purchased video lessons. The teachers that are in California are all a couple hours away.

The bottom line is that I love the style of Octa Clark and can't get the element of style that comes from growing up all your life hearing and playing it. I have a 7 piece New Orleans band, Porterhouse Bob and Down to the Bone. The Acadian would be a wonderful addition but when I play it sounds great but does not replicate the style I love.

The Acadian is in the key of C. It took Marc Savoy and his assistant a few weeks to build in Eunice, LA. It is the Model 1 ($2295): American Walnut, inlay on bellow frames, scrollwork engravings on treble side plus gig bag and built-in shure mic. There's not one scratch on it. It sounds amazing but the band has been moving more and more into the big funk horn sound (I have 4 horn players)and I'd like to purchase a new keyboard. Selling the Savoy Acadian will allow me to make that purchase (I probably will regret it all my life but at least I'm still playing the music I love).

Thanks for your support. If you know someone who would love to have this wonderful instrument please contact me by email or at 310 415 1463.

Sincerely, Porterhouse Bob

I understand if you want to sell it because you want a different instrument. But it is incorrect to think that you have to live here or grow up with it to sound right. There's a guy from England that played in the accordion shoot out that sounded awesome. And we have a Jim from Maryland in this discussion group. Its also important to realize that the great players had their own style. For example Aldus Roger sounde quite a bit different than Nathan Abshire.

hello is this accordion still available? If so, is there a picture of it that I can take a look at?? Thanks, Cathy

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!