Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: thumb question

sounds like your thumbstrap is too long, or stretched out.

On some boxes you have no option but to have the thumb hinged right on the edge of the keyboard. You actually have to pull against the strap to get the thumb into position. Things eventually stretch out some.

thanks Dwight, I'll look into that.

Make sure the thumb strap is properly tightened. Try to keep the thumb stationary and learn to move the fingers up and down the buttons with minimal movement of the thumb. What kind of accordion is it? Some factory accordions are not adjustable and need to be replaced.

T.J.- it's a HA 114, the store I got it from said it was about 15 years old.

Try putting a rubber band around the thumb strap to reduce the size of the loop, giving a snugger fit.

My thumb is double-jointed, so it hyper-extends and backs out of the loop easily. I found that getting a snug fit really gave me boost in control, and my playing immediately improved. I finally put a rivet in the strap.

The HA-114 factory strap is rather short, so you don't have a lot to work with.

Ok the factory thumb strap is too long on those. You have to take the rivet out and place a nut, washer and bolt. I would put a leather strap. First take the pins out (a wire cutter will grip the pins well) to separate the frame from the bellows, then remove (unscrew) the plastic guard on around the buttons.. Then remove the rivet . Thats the hard part because the plastic can crack and chip very easily. take your time removing the rivet and use good tools.. You can get a Good strap from Jr Martin or Greg Mouton.

thanks Nedro,T.J. and Dwight for your suggestions.

Your thumb strap isn't right. Also, you may be holding your hand in the wrong position. If you have one of Marc Savoy's videos he explains the way to use your thumb. One should be pushing with the palm of the right hand, really relieves the pressure on the thumb and makes it easier to move around on the keyboard. On the high notes (closest to the floor) one if forced to use one's thumb to push but on the middle and low notes it is easier to use your palm.

I'm confused. If I press my right palm, or any part of it, against the keyboard, my fingers are curled up like they've been in a fire.

Link #2 shows some nice shots of Marc's right hand up close, and he isn't touching the keyboard with his palm.

I would welcome something this simple to improve my playing, but I just can't find the position that you (or Marc) has described.

Is there something that I'm missing here?

thanks Hugh for the tip about the palm.
Nedro, If I'm right, what Hugh means is that you don't actually place the palm up against the box, but use it to give some back-up force to the whole right hand in general, including the thumb. correct me if I'm wrong Hugh.
both you guys have cool websites too!

Here's a freebie from Ganey Arsement. I haven't seen Marc Savoy's lessons, so this is what I've used for reference. See link #2.

Ganey is on the forum, and can play the buttons off an accordion.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!