Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Flapper spacings?

I have noticed that some brands of Cajun accordions (ACADIAN, MARTIN, FALCON) have the 'flappers' spacing -or gap- very close (between) to each other, while some builders have a large (or larger) gap spacing between the 'flappers' Any reasons for this? I personally prefer a close gap in between. Heck, that's why I like the Hohner 114's spacing. Their action isn't the greatest due to the spring clips, but they are not going to twist in an up or down angle. Thoughts about spacings?

Re: Flapper spacings?

Do you mean the spacing between the buttons? If so there is a Hohner pattern and a Sterling pattern with the latter being closer together. Some builders will let you choose between the two. I think the Sterling pattern is more popular. Shine Mouton usually used the Hohner pattern.

Actually, I meant the spacing between the flappers, but the button spacing would match the flappers.

I imagine the gap size has everything to do with the button spacing. I think everyone uses the same size flapper (5/8"), so those with the Hohner spacing will have a bigger gap.

If you have medium size hands i'd prefer spacing as with Acadians, but maybe the feller below would like them set a little wider:

- Nout

I wasn't aware that the Hohner spacing was wider than a Sterling (or Acadian, etc.) I assumed that the Hohner's were smaller. I have average sized hands, but shorter fingers, so I think a smaller spacing would be ideal.

I would try both. My hands are small but I find the wider spacing easier to play.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!