Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Players' New Years Resolutions

Every player should have an idea of his weaknesses, and working a plan to overcome your weaknesses would be a good goal.

If we chip in and post our list of objectives for the coming year, other players may benefit, recognizing needs and goals of common interest, and possibly discovering new ones.

OK, I'll go first:

2013 Things to work on:

1. Fingers out of the air and closer to the buttons
2. Steady even tempo
3. Smooth bellows reversals
4. Steady play on the knee (may result from 2 & 3)

This is not a comprehensive list, just the squeaks that need the most oil.

A by-product of this self-analysis is that confession cleanses the soul.

Happy Chanky Chank New Year!

-Nedro

Re: Players' New Years Resolutions

Well, what I meant to say was that my flying fingers can't hold a beat while my push-pull honks like a goose, and the box wobbles all over my knee...but I'm gonna work on it.

Re: Players' New Years Resolutions

Here's mine;

1. Work on a repetoire, which means stop trying to pick up new tunes and
focus on a few with the limited time I have. Also once I've cracked a
tune, work on singing it.
2. Play more with other musicians.
3. Get some 50's cajun C.Ds and try to get that rhythm and swing in my
playing.
4. Have a go at busking- once #1 is sorted out!
5. Don't give up trying to play Bonsoir Moreau, especially now I've found
Chris Miller's Youtube clip.
6. Retrain my fingers so the pinky is reserved for the high squeals- I really
would like some advice on this if anyone can help.

Could go on but thats enough to be goin on for now.

Seasons Greetings from Yorkshire.

Re: Pinky

I'm not qualified to give advice - but I am well advised, so I'm sharing.

Blake Miller told me to play an octave at every opportunity, and I have found his advice helpful in improving my play.

If your index is holding a note longer than an eighth, then the pinky should be on the octave, and vice versa. It just makes sense to use both, and you will increase the dexterity of the pinky in doing so.

It's really quite natural, and yields a more robust sound. Play some "push" songs and you will find more opportunities for octaves and pinkies.

Learning L'Anse aux Pailles, Midland Two Step, and the B Part of Mamou Two Step have really given me a boost.

Ok Nedro, post some examples, please..

CharlieB.

Uh huh. I can just see you coaxing me into posting an "instructional" video while you stand back in the shadows giggling like a naughty child!

I'm shifting my focus to a finger farther up the keyboard.

Nedro

I LOVE me some New Year's resolutions. Great thread, Brother Nedro! Or at least it WILL be, when more people weigh in. So here's a couple of mine of the top of my ADD head:

Far and away #1: Be mindful when I play. Am I relaxed? Break it down: are my fingers, wrists, arms, shoulders, neck relaxed? Am I tapping on the 1/3? Emphasizing the 2/4 (or 1/3 on a Waltz)? Play in front of a mirror now and then, to check it out. Notice the bellows, have a light touch and "let it breathe"

#2: Play with people as often as possible. Have an unassailable internal metronome for the occasions.

#3: Play as often as possible. At least an hour/day. Simultaneously try to stay married . . .

#4: Learn to sing 2 verses of every song I play. When I do, try to notice if any Cajuns in the area are drawing weapons or gathering rope and torches.

#5: Learn 2 new songs/month. Keep working on the songs I know.

#6: Try to remember every single thing Chris Miller has ever told me. Whenever I have a life-changing Cajun accordion learning epiphany, remember that Chris tried to teach/tell me the same thing 3 1/2 years ago . . .

#7: Help and support others on this journey the very best I can.

Dat's it for now. Time to go to work!

#8: Try to catch up to Bryan Lafleur and Jon Melancon. (Hey, ya gotta shoot for the stars if you want to hit the treetops!)

Now, Nedro! I would NEVER stand back and do that kind of thing...I have been at this endeavor long enough to know better than that. Playing and recording myself is one of the things I am loathe to do, but know that to be a valuable learning tool as suggested by many advancing students/players. Who knows maybe that should be added to the list. Personally, lately just picking the box up is a chore..

CharlieB.

CB,

...nor would you tell a fib.

I fear the camera like a snake! But, show me yours, and I'll show you mine! It might be good for both of us - like a little support group.

Happy New Year!

Nedro

WHAT??!!

Now that was funny, Nedro! Let me know next time you're passing through, and we can arrange for a dual expose'....
Charlie

Or y'all could record yourselves and show each other your, ahem, stuff privately on youtube, which has that capability. It's a great way to trade videos back and forth with the rest of the world being none the wiser.

What you choose to show each other as mature, consenting adults from the privacy of your own homes is your business . . .

But kidding aside, recording yourself and watching/listening to the results is a great learning tool, albeit an often uncomfortable one - have you ever recorded your voice and thought, "Wow, I sound a LOT better than I thought!"? Smiles - me either. But if you can get past the initial feeling of wanting to sell all your instruments and hide in the closet in a fetal position, you can learn a wealth of things from the experience.

The main thing is not to get discouraged, and realize you have time and that you're learning, and that the process itself can be as fun as you want to make it.

Good luck!

Thanks for your advice and ideas.
The thing is- I've been using my pinky too much!
when I said reserving my pinky, I'm trying to use my index and ring fingers for most octaves- the meat of the tune, especially on the low end then hammering on with the pinky when I want to make the tune squeal/scream or whatever best describes it. So the pinky is left sticking out much like we english drink tea- well not sticking right out cus fingers need to be close to buttons but kind out suspended till the right moment when the hand splays and it comes in like a killer sting. I've noticed Big Nick and Jim Pettijohn doing this if I'm not mistaken. Jim does it to brilliant effect in that waltz he posted on the vintage german box he restored.

Cheers, Ade.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!