Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tit Galop Pour Mamou fiddle videos????

Does anyone know if there exists any instructional videos, or just videos that make it easy to see the fingering, for 'Tit Galop Pour Mamou.

I see on YouTube that Al Berard is in a video, but seeing the fingering on the video is pretty hopeless.

Or can some kind soul put one up? Thanks.

I'm at the beginning on the Balfa Brothers version, and they play a few notes, then kick to a G unison on the middle two strings, then kick back to the upper two strings, then kick back to the middle two strings for two different blends, but I can't figure out what they're fingering to get it.

And that's just the start of the song. Who know what I'll run into later.

Thanks.

Dwight

Re: Tit Galop Pour Mamou fiddle videos????

Dwight, i listened to it; it seems to be played on a FCGD tuned fiddle, or maybe GDGD even, and played in the key of G, the top two strings mainly, and seems pretty straight forward with open strings use, and the common double stops. Then the open top string sounds a D instead of an E on a normal GDAE tuned faddle, & you might get confused when you try to copy what you hear on the latter tuning. Generally: As you seem to figure it out yourself you could use software like Best Practice as an aid, http://bestpractice.sourceforge.net/: a free tool to slow down audio and repeat a short stretch over and over again in a computer without dropping pitch. Try to remember what you hear on the recording in your mind by listening to it a few times, and play it by ear. - Nout

Hey Nout,

I'm already tuned down. And slowed down. I just have dumb ears. I use Transcribe!, which tries to help name notes too.

The GDGD thing might bear looking into, but I'm thinking it's likely FCGD.

It is doing something on the middle two strings though, along with the top two.

I'll just have to sit and figure some more. Thanks.

Figured it out.

First phrase uses G unison on the middle two strings. Next phrase uses 1st finger down on the middle two strings, then rocking between that and the 2nd finger down on the 3rd string, while leaving the 1st finger down on both middle strings. So, rocking a D chord, then a G chord.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!