Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Confusion on Jeunes Filles de la Campagne

I've been playing what I that was exactly what I was hearing on this song, either Geno's version, or Balfa Toujours, and my band is telling me I'm missing the 4 at the beginning of the song.

It dawned on me today that the band behind the accordionist might be playing a C chord while the accordionist is playing a G octave, or something like that. The bass player said she was getting the changes from the recorded band, not the accordionist.

So, can anyone else tell me whether the accordion is starting off with the 4 at the beginning of the some, or is the band playing something as a counterpoint? Either recording.

Re: Confusion on Jeunes Filles de la Campagne

huh?

The band does come in on the 4(chord), but when they come in, you will be playing a G(note) which is the 5 in the 4 chord and also the root of the 1 chord. The note you are playing in the melody doesn't necessarily represent the chord they should be playing. Clear as mud?

It is exactly as I thought. Thanks beau coup Ganey.

I knew my ear was wonky at times, but this time, I was pretty sure I was playing what they were playing.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!