Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: OT - Irish Button Box - Mairtin O'Connor

Mairtin O'Connor may be my favorite Irish box player.

The first, second and fourth videos he is playing a Saltarelle NUAGE, likely i n the keys of D/D# a half step up from C#/D. When he played with De Dannan, he used the D/D# most often. ( De Dannan is the archaic word for Ireland) He also cut one of my all time favorite CD's on a Saltarelle NUAGE in D/D#.. the CD is : "Moto Perpetuo". On this he plays sopem traditional tunes, classical and Paganini's MOTO PERPETUO hence the title of the CD. This was a violin piece written by violinist/composer Paganani and once thought unplayable.. it was nearly a centuray after he penned it that it was played by someone else, Mairtin plays it on a very simple D/D# box. Absolutley incredible.

The other video is a Saltarelle Connemara III ( possibly a Connemara II) in
C#/D. He designed this box and now sold by Saltarelle with his signature on it.. an endoresed box, rare in the accordeon world. Saltarelles are made in Italy by Dino Baffetti and sent to France to Geroge Rox who markets and distributes them. Mairtin O'Connor has been a Saltarelle dealer for many years. I have spoken with him on the phone a few times and have some letters here from him. Great player, decent guy.

I am not a Saltarelle fan as they are not the best quality and like Moto Guzzi motorcycles, once you sort them out, they are outstanding, but getting there is a pain.

The original maker of Saltarelles was Serrenellini... they still amke some parallel models,,, the NUAGES is the 233 Deluxe and the Connemara series are called Sirus or something like that. I have owned two of them.. one in D/G and one in C#/D.. the first two ever imported to the US. You must specifiy handmade reeds other wis they are "export" quality known as DURAL.

Rod Stradling of England was the first importer of Saltarelles to Great Britain, a very fine D/G player.

Saltarelle used to make a single row 10 button 4 reed box.. also made by Baffetti.. , Italian reeds and bellows. decent quality... but not on a par with Castagnari.

Castagnari and Saltarelle have been competitors for years.. Many prefer the Salts, many prefer the Castagnaris... I prefer Castganaris.. but would consider a fettled Saltarelle. Castagnari makes the better one row, hands down. Smaller, lighter, faster, better reeds and all other materials.
Oddly placed air button keeps some players away, but very popular with Irish one row players, and me.

Re: OT - Irish Button Box - Mairtin O'Connor

That was George ROUX not Rox, who is the owner and distributor of Saltarelles in Pirey(z) France. He is a character.
Saltarelles and Castagnaris are imported and sold by the Button Box in
Massachusettes.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!