Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Balfa Camp - Tres Expensive! - Worth it?

I'm with Jamey. Last year was my first and I can't wait for this next. The whole week of solid immersion in the music really helped me. Absolutely worth every penny to come all the way across the country.

John in Oregon

OTF,
Do you already play fiddle in a cajun band?
If you do, you might want to consider one of the fiddle classes.

I believe Ed Poullard is teaching Creole fiddle, Al Berard is teaching imtermediate, and David Greely is teaching advanced.

Jonno Frishberg is probably teaching inmtermediate accordion, and Steve Riley is probably teaching advanced. If you already play doubles pretty well and can keep good time, you may want to go right to the advanced class.

The good thing about Balfa is that you can pretty much move around to wherever you want to go. If you get bored with a class, just go somewhere else the next day.

You can even help Jamey Hall with the recycling or Chef Pat with the viddles.
You can just go to the dances every night and buy drinks for the ladies.
Remember, it's a vacation and it's Louisiana, and it's only money.
JB

Thanks for all of the responses!

I'm sure it's a great experience and great to get to know some of the best musicians in Cajun music and making new friends with other attendees. I'm more familiar with Old-time Appalachian music camps and they tend to run about $600 with housing in a dormitory, so I thought this one was a little expensive.

I've played in a number of bands over the years so I know how to play with other folks. Those are some great fiddle teachers someone mentioned, but I've been playing fiddle for a long time, so I'm trying to learn some accordion. Years ago I once subbed for Jono Frishbert on fiddle in a gig with the band Mamou, but I've not heard Jono on accordion. I'm sure he's good on accordion too.

I agree it's impossible to take in all that information on playing in such a short time, but it's probably worth it at least once for the experience.

Bob in North Alabama

And don't forget, Bob, all your meals are made by celebrity chef and balls-to-the-wall triangle player, Pat Mould!

You don't need a private cabin, stay in the "Dogpatch" dorm with us for a lot cheaper. Trust me on that one . . . you won't forget the nightly after-supper wine jams down on the pier.

Oh ye yaille.... Those jams are something. You just can't get any more into the whole mood at all. The background on Big Nicks DVDs... Right off that pier.

Plus, you never know what wine Jamey will show up with.

John in Oregon

I'm super excited about my first Balfa camp. The price seems fair for 6 days of lessons, music, and food!
Does anybody know of a list of must know camp songs, back door, grosse error, la casein special,...

Ron

Unfortunately, EVERY jam you will ever go anywhere to will have Back Door.

Im pretty familiar with a lot of the songs, but I need to up my listening in the next month, and am looking for a great playlist.

I went for the first time in '06, and it was one of the most memorable "vacations" of my life. I will definitely go again.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!