Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bass box and small hands

I agree, I think I'm ready for a custom built accordion but my wallet isn't. I'm still about another year out from having enough saved up for one. This one will have to do for now, so I'm curious to see if there's anything I might be able to do to make this one work for now other than not learn songs that require the regulator!

I suppose the 2 sizes being referred to are 2" wide, and 2 1/4" wide. Even with the smaller size, there are several options for smaller hands. The top can be rounded off more, making it narrower. The box can be made a little narrower than 2". The buttons, which are usually put in the center, can be moved up toward the hand a little. All of which will make it more comfortable for a smaller hand.

A friend of mine has smaller hands than mine (shorter and thicker), and he had a smaller bass box made for his Regal (later model Regal. I have one too. Possibly a Weltmeister knockoff).

Another friend of mine built it for him. You don't need to get the current one refitted. You could get an alternate one constructed, screw that one on, and when you're ready to sell the box, put the old one back on.

Just have to find someone to make you one. I've never made one. I think the hardest part would be fitting the baffles and dividers in the inside, not the construction of the outer frame.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!