Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Key of E or Eb single row

Last night I was playing "Hungry Man Blues" at practice, on my GC accordion, and the bass player said I was playing in B. I thought I was playing in D, since I thought I was playing in second position.

Anyway, this is an excellent key for my vocals. In the past I'd considered getting an EAD triple row but wasn't sure (B is second position on E). Still not sure. Songs in C are good for me too.

How many of you have either an E or Eb single row? Just curious. I remember being in Greg Mouton's shop one time, and I believe it was either his son's or nephew's accordion was on display for demo purposes, and I think it was in Eb.

It's an odd key, I know, but it sure allowed me to wail on that blues song.

Re: Key of E or Eb single row

Might not be too close, but I have an A that is gorgeous. Wet-tuned. A lot of songs in C are too low or high, and D doesn't make that much of a difference for me, so the A fixes the problem. And it sounds like a cello. :)

I have an A, but it's a bit too low sometimes. It's a modern Regal too, but it's not that bad actually.

I have an E and an Eb single row. They both sound really nice. They're both falcons. Link 1 is my E accordion and link 2 is my Eb accordion. I think it's coincidental that you mention singing blues songs in these keys, considering that Stevie Ray Vaughan, a blues guitarist, played and sang a lot of his songs in Eb.

-Cameron Dupuy

Last night I was playing "Hungry Man Blues" at practice, on my GC accordion, and the bass player said I was playing in B. I thought I was playing in D, since I thought I was playing in second position.

==uh
this makes sense sort of only if you were on the G row
its easiest minor would be B minor
which is NOT B at all!
[in the sense that 'B' usually means B major]

==so now you don;t need a new accordion
if you like B minor

Anyway, this is an excellent key for my vocals. In the past I'd considered getting an EAD triple row but wasn't sure (B is second position on E). Still not sure. Songs in C are good for me too.

=EAD - you have to be careful
accordion terminology is confusing
you may think you are ordering that and end up with EflatAflatDflat

How many of you have either an E or Eb single row? Just curious. I remember being in Greg Mouton's shop one time, and I believe it was either his son's or nephew's accordion was on display for demo purposes, and I think it was in Eb.

It's an odd key, I know, but it sure allowed me to wail on that blues song.

==ok but it may only work on that song
and that had to be in a minor key
i thought you had bought a roland and could change keys at will anyway??

==it;s tricky to just say "i sing well in E" or whatever
it also depends on the particular melody you are trying to sing

--stevie ray vaughn played in Eflat by tuning his guitar down half a step and playing in plain old E position.. he also used super heavy strings so they didn;t sound floppy at the lower tension

wle

Email Website

Eb is fine if you play with fiddles tuned one note higher like De Danann in the old days did. It definitely sounds different as a key itself. I had a high F for a while which made more sense when you play with a FCGD tuned fiddle. Eb puts you a bit outside of common grounds for most fiddlers. Bb is a lot easier for a standard GDAE fiddler. A, also with songs in E too if a fiddler is familiar with that key, great for bluesy stuff. I found my G accordion the most used one with our folk band. - Nout

If you are referring to the John Delafose tune, also covered by Cedric Watson and Corey Ledet, then your guitarist is mistaken. Using the G row, and pulling a flat note off of the C row, that song would be in D. The guitarist is hearing it in B minor, the relative minor of D major, because your last note is a fat B. Tell him to romp on a D chord, or even better, a D7th chord and go with it.

I wanted to also mention that it is very similar to what is being done in BooZoo's "I wanna go home."

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!