Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New Bravenet Project Song - Les Haricot Sont Pas Sale

Yep...and stir in a little Jolie Bassette.

Coincidental to this awkward selection and for those who don't know beans about it, I wrote an article back in August on NolaVie.com that attempts to explain the subject title.

Link #2 or http://nolavie.com/2013/08/zydeco-from-snap-beans-to-syncopated-melodies-34400.html

A quick check of available renditions indicates that this song has more interpretations than the National Anthem.

". . . this song has more interpretations than the National Anthem."

Great line, that one. I LOVE Jesse Lege's take; actually, both of them.

And I've had a LOT of fun with my initial explorations of it today, limited as they were.

Good choice, Jon!

Of course, most will think of Aldus Roger on this tune, but to really go to the roots of it, you have to go to Clifton Chenier. Clifton, naturally, did it on a piano accordion. Probably the best version I've heard is Chris Miller's. Chris does it on PA, but he also does it justice on the button accordion in the F position. Maybe he will share.

Really Ganey? Didn't Aldus record it before Clifton? I'm a little fuzzy about the history of this song. I actually like it on the Cajun box better than the PA, but for the longest time thought it was Clifton's song and Clifton's alone; I couldn't imagine anyone else doing it, especially on a Cajun box. Shows what I knew.

In addition to Jesse's version(s), I like Austin Pitre's a lot, too. Would of COURSE like to hear Chris' version (of anything!)

Like to hear Mr. Ganey Arsenment's, too . . .

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!