Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Balfa Camp 2014 not in Chicot Park

Here's how I see it.
$ 695.00 for the Camp.
$ 600.00 for 5 nights in a decent hotel.
You're already up to $ 1,295.00, unless you find someone to help share the room cost. If it's you and your spouse, it's all on you.
You got to drive back and forth from your hotel, B&B, whatever, to the site, which equals more expense. And you're probably gonna eat breakfast somewhere besides the camp, especially if you are running late.
Don't try driving back to your hotel at 2:00AM after a jam with too many toddies under your belt. The Lafayette PD will have you rooming with Leroy and Bubba in the drunk tank.
If you feel like pulling a travel trailer, there are fairly inexpensive RV parks sort-off close by, but then you still gotta drive back and forth from the site. If you attended the FAeC this week, you realize that the traffic in Lafayette is a bear.
Vermillionville is right there at the airport and the Evangeline Freeway, so it's going to be noisy as Hell.
I am not going. There are too many good teaching musicians in Lafayette, like Mitch Reed and others, who will give you great lessons for a lot less than the cost of this camp, and you can go when you want to.
They could have found a better alternative.
JB

Lakeview park in Eunice would have been a nice alternative. Cabins for rent there as well

I totally agree, Lakeview Inn in Eunice would have been awesome but I doubt it would be big enough to accommodate 100+ people.

Does not sound so good as of yet. I was planning on coming back for my second Balfa camp. I hope it still makes sense.

Ron

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!