Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bryan's #19, a historic house, and the Rest of the Story

Cool story.

Agree, but i wonder if some old ghost has moved along with the woods in to no #13 ... -F

Bryan did a great job, playing and building. Thanks chuck Bryan and Jon and anyone else that might be reading that was involved! It was a cool experience

Bryan Lafleur
JB, it wasn't an open event, it was a small family thing.

I'm not modest about my playing, just realistic. I don't anticipate progressing with my playing at all without someone to play along with. Some in the crowd may not have noticed my stumbles, but Jon and Christian surely did, since they were trying to follow me. Things like feel for the song, rhythm, timing, they just don't come easy playing alone.

Chuck did a neat thing here, a good meaningful gift for a good friend, and me doing a little building to help make it happen was my honor, and it humbled me. We all should wish to be worthy of friends who think enough of us to think us worth a gift like that.

Amen to that!

Bryan in regards to your comments about timing. Even though you don't have people around to play with regularly I still think there are things you can do to help you out. I think all musicians start out struggling with timing to some degree. I'm still mindful of my timing, I don't want to be too fast, too slow or have much of a change in tempo through out the song. So here is some advice if you want it:

1st, get in the habit of tapping/stomping your foot.

I find playing along to good recordings whether they be CDs, records or youtube videos help out a whole lot. Its the closest thing to actually playing with others. Even if you know a song well, play along with a good recording just to help with the feel and timing.

Work with the bass side to lay down timing. If its too hard to play both bass buttons while learning to play a song then at least play the top bass button to keep time but never ignore the bass side all together while playing a tune.

Try using a metronome.

Chuck, Bryan and Christian, thank you guys for inviting me. It was good to see you all and spend some quality time with good friends who share the same passion while sharing it with others.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!