Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Who would you buy your next box from?

I may be ordering a box in D after the first of the year. Who would you order it from? and why?

Some factors to consider: Reputation for quality; speed of delivery; price...etc.

I have met a talked to Ed Poullard and Danny Dyson, both were friendly and knowledgable and very easy to talk to. Both make very nice boxes at a good price, but they are both very much backed up with order. Danny isn't even taking new orders right now.

J

Re: Who would you buy your next box from?

Try Jude Moreau, he apprenticed Ed, is a heck of a nice guy, and is very conscientous on his work. And he's in your state me thinks.

For some odd reason, I feel compelled to purchase a "Le Capitaine" by Danny Dyson... And not just one... like, several of them.

R!CK

Re: Re: Who would you buy your next box from?

Well, I sure like the Le Capitaine I own! Trouble is, he is at least a year behind on orders...but then again, he is a really nice guy who cares alot about his customers.

Re: Re: Re: Who would you buy your next box from?

Well then guy, look around. There are several good builders in the South La. area. Some of those you don't always hear about build very very fine accordions but don't build many a year because they may hold a regular job.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Who would you buy your next box from?

That is a very subjective question...

I own an Acadian in D(Marc Savoie) and a Bon Cajun Cajun in C(Larry Miller). I love both of them equally.

If I was buying a new one, I think I would get a Bon Cajun - Larry Miller retired last year, and his grandson, Jay is now building them now. From feedback obtained (and pictures I saw), Jay's boxes are second to none in terms of cosmetic, craftmanship and quality. So I would support him. Having said that, I guess the same could be said of Acadians, Martin Jr etc...

I guess it boils down to the personal report (or lack of) you might have with some of the builders, how quickly you can get a box, and of course try one of their boxes and ensure they feel right.

Tough call!

John roger, when he gets back in business,

Jude Moreau,

Randy Falcon,

Ed Poullard,

Rusty, if he ever gets in businness,

Mouton.

These names are not in order of preference.

C.

Hey Claude, consider this my "OPEN FOR BUSINESS" sign !

Re: Re: Re: Who would you buy your next box from?

What price do your boxes start at rusty

Re: Re: Re: Re: Who would you buy your next box from?

They go for $1500 per box, for any combination. I'm not gonna try and charge for "options".

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who would you buy your next box from?

Rusty,
Please put a link to the youtube video with your new box. Give the new builders a chance guys. The reeds and bellows all come from the same place!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who would you buy your next box from?

Greg, I'll let you know as soon as I post it, #2 has already been sold, I have #3 ready to assemble, just don't know if I'm gonna make it a c or d yet.

I will assume a Cajun built box..

Jude Moreau without hesitation

I have owned 2 of his boxes.

Bought them after careful deliberation and playing lots of other boxes...

He does what he says he is going to do when he says he is going to do it...

Good looking boxes.. exellent "touch", sound great

Think Mitres... : )

Ed Poullard is playing the fiddle in the photo that accompanies the Texas Folklife piece on Jude Moreau. Jude has shared all his accordion building wisdom with Ed.

Probably couldn't go wrong with a "Poullard" or a "Bon Cajun" or a "Le Capitaine", and perhaps a dozen other builder. I do like the Texas connection, me being here in Austin. I happen to also be a member of Texas Folklife Resources.

J

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!