Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
From toilet bowl to reed blocks - what a concoction !

So here I am doing some remodel thing, yanking out a toilet in the guest bath rm. When I put the thing back, I placed a new wax ring... and it hit me.... wham! wax ... toilet... reeds.

Ya See: A ways back, somebody discussed using toilet wax ring mixed with bees wax for setting reeds to the block (like I needed to know that). Some how, in some odd outlandish way, that sorta plays on the ole thinking process, it's sorta crappy! I have the old ring, if any you builders need some additional wax. It's in the garbage can, but I can retrieve it and send it to ya, if need be.... Recycle? .... humm, don't think so.

Re: From toilet bowl to reed blocks - what a concoction !

A quick IP adress search reveals (no surprise here)that a crank strikes again, impersonating Nonc D.

Kinda sad ...

Re: Re: From toilet bowl to reed blocks - what a concoction !

No crank... I am the real deal David (just been hanging back). I do have multiple computers, and as for IP addresses, I have a ton to connect with. Most know my story line style of writing (connected to past posts) for how I attempt to lead into a discussion and perhaps get folks thinking out'a the box (while thinking about the box).

What I was seeking, was to open a dialogue into alternative methods of attaching reeds to the block (beyond wax). There are silicons, cements, compounds (two part mixtures) and a host of contemporary adhesives. Wax? Why wax? While I am sure builders know best... I am courious as to some of the builders experimenting with alternative methods of attaching reeds to blocks beyond just "wax and heat as may have been done for a hundred years."

Nah David... it's me.. I'm still playing on the porch and making the hound dogs yap and checking in now and then.
Nonc D

Re: Re: Re: From toilet bowl to reed blocks - what a concoction !

Hi Nonc D!

I hope you stick around.

-David

Re: Re: Re: From toilet bowl to reed blocks - what a concoction !

If I may, benefit to wax is, it is much easier to service the reed if need be. Compounds, silicones may be better for sealing and holding up to temperatures, but if for some reason the reed needs to be removed it will make the task quite cumbersome and messy. In addition, the manner in which I tune requires me to remove the reed in the tuning process and the wax makes this easier, but yet will hold up over time if the box is cared for and not left in the heat. If an accordion gets hot enough to actually melt the wax, I'd also be concerned with the paint job. However, it can soften quite a bit, and when played, the reeds can fall out, but again, it would have to be quite warm for it to happen. IMO...

Re: From toilet bowl to reed blocks - what a concoction !

Yup...I seem to remember someone uses "plumber's" wax in their reed waxing recipe. Was it Junior or Jude? Can't remember. I kind of think it was somebody in Texas!

The understand the point is to make the wax less brittle (pure bee's wax will crack) and also have a mix that will melt in a hot water bath (140-150 degrees). 30/70 plumber's to bee's?

Of course you can just buy the stuff from an accordion supply house, but what fun is that?

Re: Re: From toilet bowl to reed blocks - what a concoction !

a mixture of bees wax and venetian oil (pretty expensive) is one proper way of making accordion wax ... only I don't know the proper %%% .... maybe some of you guys?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!