Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Falcon rumor

I heard from a friend of mind that the patent on Randy's dual accordions is coming up for renewal. According to my friend he won't be renewing it. I don't know if it is true or not, but it would be cool to see if other builders could get the double design like the falcon's.

Re: Falcon rumor

I assume that you are talking about the patent. I guess if he lets it lapse then the only issue will be the impression that is left in the historical record that he invented this idea. If you were to show anyone with reasonable mechanical skill and understanding of music how a basic one-row accordion works, and then you would ask them to come up with a way to have the one row of buttons play in two different keys, I'm fairly certain that this is the design that they would come up with.
It still doesn't change the fact that if you can fit that many reedbanks into an accordion that size, the player would be given more advantages if you simply added a second row of buttons. Hey, maybe I'll take out a patent on that. I've got another excellent invention, it's a box with soft lining in which you can carry an accordion. I call it the switcher case, because one can also sit on it.

-Andy

Re: Re: Falcon rumor

"Switcher" accordeons or dual key accordeons were made long before Falcon built and patented his version. I believe the patent was in part spopnsored by the University of Louisiana ..(open to correction)

I have a copy of the patent in front of me..all of its pages.

Oddly, the patent includes the 10 key 4 stop button accordeon as part of the patent.. the other part being the switching.

I spoke with one of the actual examiners that passed and approved the patent. He said that had he known more about the accordeon and its history and other similary
built and used devices, the patent would not have been issued. However, he defended the approval by saying it was a US patent and that they are not required to research any documents beyond those in the patent record.

I have heard that there was a bit of contention about this patent and the enforcement thereof. Other builders wanted to make switchers. Some did and were asked ( that is being polite) to stop and to also destroy any such accordeon with this tyope of switching device.
No attempt was made to stop building the single row accordion.

Personally I find the idea f a switcher box a novelty.
I completely agree with Andy about.. get a two row. It has more advantages than a switcher 1 row..

Cajun music isn't the instrument though the instrument used is iconic. I have a copy of photo of Nathan Abshire playing a Hohner Pokerwork 2 row.
and I have heard Cajun tunes played by Irish B/C players and English D/G players and even another Englishman playing Cajun on a 40 button AAnglo concertina. While that is not the norm nor the tradition, it shows that it can be done. Much as Gypsy Jazz does not have to be played on a Selmer/Maccaferri.

I "invernted" my own switcher style accordion.. it's on paper and doable, but again in my opinion a novelty.

I have seen only one Falcon box up close and personal. It was not a switcher. It was one of the finest accordeons I have seen. His skill is not in question. Nor is his character.

What I find interesting is that others actually want to make this specialized type of accordeon at all. Or, why these builders who want to make switchers have not simply altered the mechanics..
Or why they simply did not have them made in Italy or anywhere out of the country.. this is a US ONLY patent.
Or why aren't the Italians doing it.. well, one company did.. Gabanelli, it was their own design but still a switcher.. Bombed. Limited market.

Or better yet... make 2 row accordeons.

If he does renew this patent, it won't change the world. If he doesn't renew the patent... a few builders will make a few and then it will be over. This type of accordeon can easily saturate the market in a short time.
Whatever anybody's feelings are about this.. he went to the trouble to do it and he owns the patent. It's his business.

My only objectionwas that according to the examiners. the patent included the 1 row accordeon which is utter nonsense. And of course that they did NO research before they issued the patent.

By the way Saltarelle made a 2 1/2 row 4 reed 4 switcher 4 reed box called the Louisianne years ago.
12 basses as I recall..

Re: Re: Re: Falcon rumor

A number of years ago, Mr. John Gabbanelli wanted me to be the Louisiana distributor for the Cajun King accordion because they weren't able to penetrate the market. He mainly wanted me to push the "two-tone" Cajun King. I ultimately turned him down because while I have doubts about the validity of Mr. Falcon's patent, I don't care to get into any legal battle with him.

Since then, I have learned that a notification of "prior art" and a brochure, sales receipt or advertisement showing that he was building this type of accordion prior to the patent's approval would render it invalid. Mr. Gabbanelli sold his first two-tone in the early '70s.

In addition, legal threats are just that. Legal threats. No matter who owns a patent, anyone is free to build upon, or improve a design.

FYI, I have played two of the two-tone Cajun Kings. They have two complete sets of reeds with only four stops on top. The reeds are double stacked. Two of the stops control one key, and the other two control the second key. It limits your ability to shut off banks, but the playibility is just as good as a regular four stop.

Personally, I enjoy listening to the debate. I have no need for one of Mr. Falcon's. I have several friends that play them, and they are nice, but I like to hear all four banks growling.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Falcon rumor

Big ups, Ganey! I think what you're going to find are Cajun accordionists that either love Randy Falcon's boxes or hate 'em (dual-keys and otherwise). Most haters think he's too expensive or wouldn't play a dual-key 'cuz they hate Toups.

What I've found and observed with accordionists are; whomever they feel like they've got a friendship -- that's who they prefer to do business with. Let's face it, it's all about the "feel good" factor when it comes to dropping a thousand-plus bucks or more.

If I were to sit down and play boxes by all the known and reputable single-row builders, I can guarantee you that I would admit that they were ALL nice boxes -- Gab Kings included. I highly doubt there's a Louisiana Cajun accordion builder that specializes in shoddy boxes. Personally, I've never held in my hands, a Louisiana handmade accordion that I didn't like.

But it's all about the person who made the accordion and how that person builds a one-on-one relationship with (you) the buyer. If they rub the customer the wrong way, it's doubtful they'll purchase from that builder -- and from what I've seen many times -- they can't say anything nice about that builder's work, no matter how incredibly good it is.

"I don't like that man. I need to get to know him better." ~Abraham Lincoln

R!CK

For those that have the interest.. there is an appeal process to contest the validity of a patent, any patent.

In contacting the Patent office the claimant needs to provide all and any documentation contesting the claim. Along wioth the documentation, a check in the amound of ( used to be) apprioximately $2355.

However if enough people contest the same patent, the Patent Office will research and review the claim for no fee.

This could have been done long ago if a few builders thought that the Falcon patent was granted in error.

I am not advocating this.. I have known this for years after I personally contacted the granting examiners... and spoke with them on the phone. I did this not to be in contention with Mr Falcon's switching idea but to get details about other aspects of the patent which I thought were in question.

If other Cajun builders want to contest the claim .. have at it or no action may result in a continuation of the patent.

And Ganey is right about prior events and objects..

Since I have no interest in 3 reed switchers.. makes no difference to me.

But a patent on the accordeon.. no that ain't right.

Or as was suggested... invent your own switcher.

BTW GAB can't be stopped.. different design and the Falcon Patent is US only.

Jeff... daaaaaannnng. This is the best and most detailed info on the "switcher" ever brought forward in this forum.

As an owner of 3 Falcon dual-keys, I can tell you that while they are a novelty, the cool-factor is as sweet as the footprint they require, not to mention the action is the same as a 4-stop. So to distill this; it's the same size, same feel, same execution as that of a 4-stop. Where it falls short is 25% less sound. But if it's mic'd and ran through a PA/amp, that becomes less of an issue.

I'm fortunate to have purchased these back in the mid-90's at price half of what Randy is selling them for now. To me, they are a solid investment, and I continue to use them on a weekly basis and have never had a problem with their functionality -- other than breaking a reed or two -- being my fault for playing too hard. They are built like tanks.

I LOVE the fact that they are single-row, "Cajun" melodeon designs. I prefer the look and feel of the single-row melodeon over any other design; so while a double-row might open up the possibilities of different note combinations, chords or runs, I prefer the hammering and rocking style of the single-row. I'm speaking for myself, but I'm probably not alone here. I guess that's why most of us on this forum love the single-row and the unique flair it requires to work with the bare minimum amount of buttons. Plus, the percussive quality of the single-row along with Cajun-style tuning would make a double-row hard to adopt by Cajun musicians.

To be clear, the Falcon dual-key operates as a single-key accordion at all times. You have to physically "switch" keys by pulling/pushing up/down the stops to change to the other available key. Once that is done, then you are operating, again, in just a single key. There's never a time where you can automatically modulate in and out of the two available keys that are installed -- without having to adjust the stops in the aforementioned manner. If you open all the stops at once, it sounds like a trainwreck, assuming both keys installed are different.

So this is how the Falcon dual-key (a single-key-at-a-time) melodeon differs from a 2-row accordion. They are completely different instruments with contrary concepts and playing styles. I suppose someone could play Cajun music on a 2-row, 3-row or piano accordion -- it's definitely been done. But it doesn't sound like Cajun music to me. Zydeco perhaps, but that's a whole different ballpark. I think if you really want to create Cajun music (and *some* zydeco) then it *should* be played on a single-row, 10-button diatonic "Cajun" accordion... otherwise it sounds like elevator music.

Thanks again, Jeff, for an interesting topic!

R!CK

Falcon Box Patent

Thanks, But it was Brian's topic.

I am on both sides of this fence and wish no "offence" to anyone.

I have my personal opinions about this and my expressed opinions.

Fact is he got the patent.

I agree there is nothing like a 4 reed buzz on a single row.. that's why I play them.. I do enjoy and play other acccordeons.

I have owned a Castagnari Mory 2 1/2 row 3 reed accordeon pitched in G/C with accidentals on the third row.. 12 basses

Cool,thing about this box is that you can switch in and out of any combination of reeds with a simple thumb switch on the back of the keyboard. On the fly.

My design for a 1 row incoprporated this and the four "STOPS" on the top could be dummies or
eliminated entirely.

The Cajun accordeon has evolved a bit but has largely retained its original aesthetic. Part of the charm.
But others have and are building one rows that in some ways depart from the traditional look; and in doing so can incorporate other ideas and functions.

I have no doubt that there are "Falcons" out there doing just that... evolving the accordeon..

Much like Earl Scruggs playing a Gibson Mastertone.. had he been playing a Vega #9 that would be THE instrument of choice for Bluegrass..
Others choose to play Stellings and Stealths..

Congratulations on getting and enjoying your Falcons.

Re: Falcon Box Patent

I believe that Eric Martin, in France, and some of his friends have designed and built a few futuristic boxes.

Re: Re: Falcon Box Patent

Eric Martin also builds sopme interesting 2 and 3 row boxes with exposed flappers.

The "king" of box design in France might go to Bruno Priez... he designed the Lutinier(sp) for Maugein and has reputedly used alternate materials for the chassis's as well as using Automotive paint etc...

Re: Re: Re: Falcon Box Patent

Have you ever seen any of Eezy Squeezy's box designs, aka Firefly Accordions? Really just embellishments to Hohners, but outlandishly cool nonetheless... his website seems to be down, but his myspace page is live:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=122863743

I've seen pics of Eric's boxes, too, and they really are interesting -- love all the exposed flappers!

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Falcon Box Patent

Yup seen em

pretty wild

Re: Falcon rumor

Yeah I heard that rumor, too -- recently, in fact -- when I saw the Doc Marshalls play here in Dallas. Guess the only way to confirm it is to call Randy -- which is something on my to-do list for the past 7 years. Weird how time flies...

Randy has a U.S. patent, and if I'm not mistaken, there's a couple of European builders that have come up with a dual-key melodeon?

Falcon dual-keys have been discussed a lot in this forum -- and they are truly unique, and perhaps the coolest thing about them is the convenience factor. But in terms of power, you just can't beat a 4-stop. Randy is a master tuner and builder, and my favorite box is a Bb Falcon 4-stop.

The dual-keys are two 3-stop accordions in one. If Randy's patent is expiring and someone is up for the challenge; then invent a dual-key 4-stop. But ya better make sure the rumor ain't a rumor first!

R!CK

Re: Re: Falcon rumor

Guys, it's no secret that I also own two of the doubles, and that I learned to build accordions under Randy so I am partial to that but I try as best as possible to stay middle of the road when it comes to this discussion. The patent has to describe what a melodeon is, that is why there is a mention of the 4-stop in the patent. On the other hand, I have recently had a chance to play a dual pitched "King" and let me tell you, it was difficult to play, took a gross amount of air, had a tone that sounded like it was coming through pipe, and had no performance what so ever. This is strictly my opinion on the "Dual Pitched King"... As Rick mentioned, the cool thing about the Falcon's is that they are the exact demensions of a 4-stop in exception for the length of the valves and have additional stops on top, and as far as feel against a four stop, you can't tell a difference. Again, all in our own preferences

Rusty.. Like you I have no "side" and will simple state what I believe to be the facts...

I had an interesting idea... what if

Falcon reassigned the patent to the University...
he takes a tax deduction
The the University because of their interest in furthering Cajun culture and out of their sincere altruism... licenses other builders to make the Falcon switcher design

Just a thought....

$$$ = Falcon...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Falcon rumor

Rice = Falcon...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Falcon rumor

You right there, buddy. Since inhereting the rice mill, Randy has his hands full.

Falcon=Extra Care=Quality=Extra Price,

I'll pay extra price for extra care and quality.

Anytime.

No Brainer there!.

Falcon accordions are not in some cases,over adorned with bells and whistles.

I'll take one of his "blackies", no marquetry bands, with stainless steel decorative corners, and no turn of the century art nouveau design on the face plates( wich on most cajun accordions is partially hidden behind the treble board anyway).

A modern man, redesigning the venerable cajun box, rethinking it, so to speak, and selling it.

I have not heard anything negative about the look of his boxes,did anyone did, off course not, the price yes.

Rusty, is following his steps, good for him!.

Time for a change, nothing is ever written in stone, fortunatly.

Claude.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Falcon rumor

Hey TQ...

$$$=Falcon;
That's why I suggested the tax deduction..

Claude.. glad it was you, not me that mentioned the Art nouveau scrolls on an angular chassis...
a design incongruity, however charming....

My 1915 era Saxon 1 row 4 stopper has a similar design.. it was the rage 90 years ago...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Falcon rumor

Jeff,
Do you have any pictures of that box that you could post?
Thanks,
Greg

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Falcon rumor

Greg<

I should have typed "had" ..

I stupidly sold it

I can describe it

Think Black

Think Pewter stop knobs with embossed thistles

Think pewter covered flappers

Think very ornate metal corner brackets also embossed with thistles

Bellows were in two sections with a wooden center frame surronded by a thin emboosed tin covering all the way around

The tape was black then red with blue paper and gold
floral design typical metal corners

The bass box was like a Hohner with spoons .. but you guess it... Embossed thistles...

Back of the keyboard said Made in Saxony
Steel Reeds

The embossed arte nouveau scrolling was in silver on the black painted box.

the screws holding the end plates on were German Silver wing nut affairs actually winged bolts

It clacked and wheezed but got me going

I paid $25 for it and as I recall sold it for $75 to a restaurant as a wall hanger.. could still be there...

I should not have sold it.. or at least taken a picture of it

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Falcon rumor

Ever pulled a tune on a Falcon box? They aren't too bad.

R!CK

That's what most people don't understand. Randy doesn't make accordions to make a living like most of the other builders. He does it as a hobby and a labor of love. That's why he has gone up on his prices, he doesn't have time to work on accordions all day every day. It's how a market economy works, supply and demand, raise the prices and demand goes down. He has less accordions on backlog, and he gets compensated about the same. Sounds smart to me.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Falcon rumor

True dat, Brent. Randy has always admitted that his accordion "business" was his creative outlet. He doesn't survive on building accordions. He does, however, grow and mill the best rice in Louisiana, and there's at least 4 brands he's responsible for.

Rice is Randy's life. He just happens to make accordions on the side, and they just happen to be purdy darn good'ns that he charges what he wants for them. He gets what he is asking for them, too, since they are extremely sought after -- obviously not by everyone -- but those who have played one are most-often hooked. Most Braves on this board seem to be Larry/Jay Miller and Marc Savoy fans -- they both make/made top-notch boxes. I don't own one of their boxes, but I've played them and they're awesome. I think if anyone were to consider purchasing one of their boxes, or any handmade LA/TX (hey Jude!) box, it's doubtful they would be disappointed. I'm a fan of the Falcon and Martin brands. I just really like both of those guys on a personal level.

BTW, here's the "real" Falcon business:

http://www.falconrice.com/

Do what'cha wanna!
R!CK

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!