Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lateen Miller

Dose anybody know about "Lateen Miller"? I found an accordion made by him and would like to know if this would be a good insturment to pick up?

Re: Lateen Miller

Laten is great man to know and a quality builder. I have owned several of his accordions. Nicole, who frequents this board, bought a nine button from me a number of years ago when I thought I was not going to play anymore. Boy do I regret that. I am pretty certain that Nonc D still has one that he had custom made.

Re: Re: Lateen Miller

Thanks for the info. I will try and get it than!

Re: Re: Re: Lateen Miller

If it is the Cajun Classic on ebay, it is a good buy. All seven of the accordions from that estate were in great shape and of quality workmanship.

Yes Ganey ... I still have it... it's my primary go to "C" accordion among the others.

I completly enjoyed conversations with Mr. Laten, and not just as a builder of a commissioned accordion, he's dandy character. Mr. Laten is a fiddle player, who says he can not play accordion. He tunes by ear and not by electronic means. There are many custom visual additions to his accordions that shows a variation to the craft which marks "his" style of accordion. The finishes he places are some of the best I have seen. His clear coats are multi layered aircraft lacquer (very hard/durable) with a lot of depth and dimension. While I had some very specific features which I wanted on the up front, I recieved some additions which I did not expect.

Square holes on the sliders? Yep, got em... and some will say that it enhances the acoustic volumne.
This box is acoustically quite loud. It's just one of my required requests on the laundry list, prior to the commission of it's construction.

Laten builds a fine accordion. First time seekers should not be at all surprised if he quizes you as to what you intend to do with one of his accordions. This craftsman builds instruments ment to be played and with Cajun pride. I was'nt the first to play that commissioned accordion oddly enough. Seems Ed Poullard and Jesse Lege' tried to wear it out before Ed had hand delivered it to me at a select gathering. However, Laten called me and asked if I would allow them to play it as a first. That courtasy was a mark of a dandy builder, showing care for my purchase and his product as a builder.... It was well built.

Nonc D

Re: Re: Laten Miller

Ganey, I saw that Nicole indicated in another thread that she had not bought your "little blue baby" -- I was the guilty party and it truly was a steal. It has quite a unique look and I still own and enjoy it.

Susan

Re: Re: Re: Laten Miller

Susan,
There you are! I had the name all wrong, but I nailed the gender. I am glad that you are still enjoying her, but I do miss her from time to time.

Re: Lateen Miller

Jim, did jou get it?

There was only one bidder, and that was you?
Let us know if you're happy with it.

Gus

No, it was me. I'll let you know if I'm happy with it as soon as I got it. Kirsty will ship it tuesday to my adress in tne Netherlands.

Gefeliciteerd,

Sometimes people have an ebayalias, so I wasn't sure who was who.
I would say, come and visit me once you recieved the accordion and we'll jam (double Dutch. )

Gus

I think you got a fine box, easily worth the money. I went back and forth between the Le Capitaine Kristy had for sale and the Cajun Classic. I chose the former mainly because I loved the dark red color. It was a hard choice.

Thank you again, Kristy. Let's hope your dad, Freddie, can hear us play his boxes up there in heaven.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lateen Miller

It is quite a miracle that so many cajun accordion players that really appreciate the value of a fine accordion had the chance to buy such a well kept instrument.
Let's hope that all accordions come in the hands of people that can judge the value and play them (for a fair price, too)

Gus

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lateen Miller

Have you guys, John and Gus, seen the accordions Kristy was selling and played them?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lateen Miller

Alas, I've seen the pictures only!
But it seemed to be a good collection...

I understand that quite a few got into the hands of our forum members. maybe good to make an inventory, who's got which accordion and their satisfaction.

Gus

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lateen Miller

A friend of mine bought the Acadian C and the Martin D.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lateen Miller

And: did he get the quality he expected? In that case Kirsty was a reliable supplier, right? John is very happy. If Spylder is also happy We should make her "Brave of the year", right?
Gus

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lateen Miller

He is very happy. I expected him to like the Acadian more than the Martin, but he gravitates to the Martin. It was pretty obvious from the photos that her father played that one quite a bit, as well.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lateen Miller

Ganey, a (at least my)C and a D are very different, I experience. They give a different feel and sound. Maybe this has more ecffect than the brand?
Besides, The Martins I heard had a sharper tone. How about the ones you mentioned?

Gus

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lateen Miller

I agree. I tend to gravitate to my D because it is much quicker than my C and it has brass reed plates which scream at you. Both are from Jude Moreau. I have played both accordions belonging to my friend. The Martin seems to be more broken in. Not sure why he prefers it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lateen Miller

By the way, I heard your "deux pas sur August Broussard"

Did you play it on the Moreau boxes?

Very nice piece of music. Reminds me a little to Ëunice 2 step. You change pitch during the tune, right?

Gus

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lateen Miller

I mean the key. (pitch is something else, maybe)
Gus

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lateen Miller

Nah...it stays in the key of G all the way through. I just switch back and forth between a C accordion and a D accordion. It is the Love Bridge waltz played as a two-step.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!