Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gasket story

Hi guys¸

I had an experience lately... I own a Bon Cajun since 2003 and just loved it until a while ago. The sound seemed less punchy, and I felt as if the instrument was always out of breath. So it stayed on the shelf for a while. I live in Canada (province of Quebec) so it was kind of too far to visit Mr Miller about that.
Anyway, one day I decided to open the accordion just to find out the gaskets were all loose and floppy, hanging inside the accordion!
For now, I replaced them and screwed the box very tight. Oh! It's like I rediscovered my accordion!

Now, I guess I should replace these old gaskets. Perhaps next spring when I get to Louisiana, unless I find some Quebecois accordion builder living next to me...

Just thought I'd share this experience. I don't write a lot but I really enjoy and appreciate your participation to this forum.

Nicole

Re: Gasket story

Cajun Nic,

I mention your name a few posts down, and you appear like magic! Do you still have my little blue baby?

Ganey

Re: Re: Gasket story

Sorry, that must be another Nicole...

I'm the one this board once called little Nic (opposed to Big Nick)...

Re: Re: Re: Gasket story

Must be the wrong Nicole. Big Nick is actually a Tom. Sorry.

Accordion Gasket tape: you can mail order it, see link #1 f.i. Usually it comes in narrow and wider (better for a cajun box) sizes. Be careful with tightening screws too much, wood thread can wear out. Remove eventual glue rests with luke-warm water water, or maybe if that doesn't work, pure 96% alcohol, but that tends to be more aggressive towards some paints .... gasket tape shouldn't wear out so fast though ..... ask Mr Miller if he used a bad batch of tape? Tip: it's important not to touch reeds and leathers with your fingers if not needed ... regs, nout

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi guys¸

I had an experience lately... I own a Bon Cajun since 2003 and just loved it until a while ago. The sound seemed less punchy, and I felt as if the instrument was always out of breath. So it stayed on the shelf for a while. I live in Canada (province of Quebec) so it was kind of too far to visit Mr Miller about that.
Anyway, one day I decided to open the accordion just to find out the gaskets were all loose and floppy, hanging inside the accordion!
For now, I replaced them and screwed the box very tight. Oh! It's like I rediscovered my accordion!

Now, I guess I should replace these old gaskets. Perhaps next spring when I get to Louisiana, unless I find some Quebecois accordion builder living next to me...

Just thought I'd share this experience. I don't write a lot but I really enjoy and appreciate your participation to this forum.

Nicole

I get an ebay ad when using that link...

The very same thing happened to me, and on a Miller accordion...it happened fast too...one day all was well and the next, no air, bass side gasket sucked in....box never left the house, to heat or sun directly...put it back, it's ok for now but will need to be replaced....

for some reason the wrong link was in my post .......
this is the righ one:
http://cgi.ebay.nl/ACCORDION-AKKORDEON-ACCORDIAN-BELLOWS-GASKET-SELF-ADH_W0QQitemZ120179949128QQihZ002QQcategoryZ16218QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

regs, nout

PS this #1 link sucks too ...... please copy and paste the http address, see below too, to the top line of your browser and you're finally in business, nout

Re: Re: Re: Re: Gasket story

Great, Nout,
this online aid from you.
I dont't have a problem with my Miller, But when it happens, I remember you

Gus

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gasket story

in nederland goedkoper te krijgen .........

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gasket story

Ok, Nout.

Hoe bevalt je nieuwe accordion (wat was het ook al weer?)

G

Some excellent adhesieve backed gasket material can be purchased from FRM Enterprises in Montreal. This material is very long lasting and should last almost as long as the accordion.

Thank you guys for your help and info, I'll look into that. Montreal is not that far from home.

Mr Roger, I think we met 3 or 4 years ago in a little Cajun festival in Wakefield, near Ottawa, Canada... Is that possible? I tried some of your nice accordions on that occasion.

Nicole

That was me chere! I remember you also. I always remember the good looking women.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Gasket story

So, are you still making accordions? Where did you relocate? It's too bad that little festival doesn't exist anymore. We don't get a lot of cajun events up here.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gasket story

Well Nicole I am trying to get set up to start building again but have to finish climbing out of the mud so to speak. I lost everything to hurricane Katrina and have since relocated to the north Georgia mountains. No more living below sea level for me.

Too bad the festival didn't make it. I really enjoyed exhibiting there. I just don't think that there was enough attendence to make it profitable.

Are you still playing?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!