Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ever get the itch? Buy a harp, if a box is not doable

Someone mentioned; what do ya do when it starts to get cold(?). Now then...We talking cold and gloomy, looking like rain sorta thing? if so....

Me, I go indoors and conjour dangerous thoughts of what it would be like to commission a new accordion. I am fortunate to have a music room (though I prefer the porch), strickly my own musical haven hide out and brand of toys. When indoors, I sometimes crank it up (just a tad in my get-a-way room), to get the vib of a bit bigger meatier sound. Line in through the RMS or the Fender hot rod D tube tone monster.. amp up with a number of bands (on my mind), grab a box or a harp .... and then ask myself why in Gods name I can't hear afterwards

I gotta watch those gloomy days when not on the porch, it usually puts me into the frame of mind for wanting to buy something, spend some dough. Perhaps a new accordion. Accordion-itus affliction can sometimes put ya in a financial frying pan, or cause others to tell ya; you need another squeeze box like a hole in your head. Ever hear that one??

So, I sometimes spend a bit of gloomy day free time just pondering what such a new accordion would contain (wood, hardware, color etc.) ... when it comes down to "wants" I think I want a new Bb.... loaded!
When I wake from that dream, it is usually to a chore list, which is a clever diversion to my "I wants." Afterwards I move on to the next best thing and begin to think of a fist full of new Lee Oskars in my favorite keys instead. Do a bit of windjammin for a change...Come on Spring!

Aint making some kinda music Great on those off days??

Nonc D

Any windjammers out there?

Re: Ever get the itch? Buy a harp, if a box is not doable

I've got myself a covered deck in the back yard (screened for those **** skeeters) and a screened porch as well. I just put on another shirt when it's cold and my wife throws me out for getting too enthusiastic--hell she can still hear all the way up in the bedroom when I'm outside with the doors closed. All the neighbors (at least all the ones I have talked to) say they really enjoy the music. One guy across the street will bring his guitar over at times and join it. Now then there are the people behind me who we really don't talk to...they are a bit weird...sometimes I'll be playing and they crank up the stereo with some kind of heavy metal/blues stuff on it...is that a sign I'm playing too loud? I don't mind. I like blues and rock too.

Re: Ever get the itch? Buy a harp, if a box is not doable

Yup

Currently
1 Lee Oskar
9 Special 20
1 Melodey Maker
2 Bushman Delta Frost
1 Hohner Chromatic 280
Mics... one Shure something
and a 40's Electrovox ( looks like a Buck Rogers space ship)
Amps: Epiphone Valve JR 5 screaming watts
Lab Series L-5 ( same as BB King uses)100-200 watts
1 DD-3 pedal with a passive splitter to go to both amps

Yup I buy harps when I can't justify another accordeon

Re: Re: Ever get the itch? Buy a harp, if a box is not doable

I actually started with a harp, at least it was my first bisonoric, diatonic, music maker. got my first one when I was maybe 7 or 8. Right now I only have four "Blues Harps", C/D/Bb/G. Thinking about getting an A, an E, and an F. Always heard good things about the Lee Oskars.
One buddy of mine, Bob Johnson, has been playing harps since 1925 when he got his first one at age 4. He has hung up accordions since his stroke last year, but he still blows his harps with gusto.

Re: Re: Re: Ever get the itch? Buy a harp, if a box is not doable

I've always thought that if I ever get busted for smuggling quebecois handmades across the border and ended up in the pokey, that I would probably learn the harp. I've got a Marine Band C harp, but have never done that much with it. The few times I've picked it up, I was able to figure out where I wanted to go with it, using the concept of accordion bellows/air direction. It's odd that a little accordion knowledge transposes easily to the harp.

Cool idea Nonc D!

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ever get the itch? Buy a harp, if a box is not doable

Considering the harmonica was also invented by a Bohemian (so germnay no austria) and later modified too the Richter scale by you guessed it Richter..and these all corresponded to the 1 row accordeon..
by the ay the button akkordeons are still referred to as Harmonikas in Germany and Austria and the Czech Republic

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!