Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
John Rogers Cajun Brand

Hey John,

Beau Jocque had one of your boxes -- it's on the CD Jacket of his "Au Revoir" disc. That's one of the prettiest boxes I've ever seen. Can you share some details about the wood and what key it was in?

Wonder where it is now...

R!CK

Re: John Rogers Cajun Brand

Rick that box was custom made for Beau Jacque and is constructed of ash with Japanese Tamo (ash) veneer on the frames and keyboards. If I remember right it is in the key of C. However I am not sure since it has been some time since it was built and all my records were lost. Beau Jacque's son (sons)? have the accordion now.

I have also, in the past, built an accordion for Terance Simien for use in the recording studio. Minimal clacking.

Re: Re: John Rogers Cajun Brand

Hey John,
Are you back to building now?
MarkS

Re: Re: Re: John Rogers Cajun Brand

I am not quiet finished aquiring all the tools necessary yet but hope to be set up soon. I have been
working on some Quebec style designs however and will in all probability build some of those in addition to the traditional style.

Great news, John.

I look forward to seeing some pics of those Quebec-style boxes.
-Andy

Re: Re: Re: Re: John Rogers Cajun Brand

That's great..
keep me in mind when you do.

What tools are you needing ?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: John Rogers Cajun Brand

With current purchases I finally pretty much caught up on the tools. No shaper yet but I'll probably use a router and table instead. So now I have to get going on the jigs. But the holidays are upon us and my better half has all kinds of honey do jobs. so guys you know how that goes. But it's not all bad. After I pass the vacume she let's me have a couple of cold Bud's. Helping with the dishes brings a couple of more

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the accordion discussion group.

John

Re: Re: John Rogers Cajun Brand

Thanks for the info, John. That box is a jaw-dropper!

R!CK

Beau Jacque's CD

Rick can you e-mail to me the information necessary to get the CD by Beau Jacque you mentioned. Would sure like to have it. Floyd's record shop in Ville Platte does not have it and has never heard of it.

Merci
John

Re: Beau Jacque's CD

I ordered my copy of Beau's "Au Revoir" CD from louisianamusicfactory.com
They're in NOLA and they often carry some titles that Floyd's miss-out on.

It's a decent retrospective compilation that spans Beau's legacy. It's missing some great tunes, but just how many vanguard tunes can you squeeze on just one disc...

What makes the CD so special is that eye-candy of a box of your's on the jacket!

R!CK

Re: Re: Beau Jacque's CD

I understand what you mean Rick. Beau just had the natural talent for his music and was a very nice guy.

Thanks for the info, I know the music factory quiet well and will try to get a copy of the disc for the music and the photo. I lost all of my photos. However that is water under the bridge so we move on.

Re: Re: Re: Beau Jacque's CD

You really take the high-road on the loss of your home, mon ami. That's admirable, albeit sad. But, that said, I'm with others here on the ol' board -- hope you get back to box buiding. I'd love to own a John Roger original!

~R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Beau Jacque's CD

Oh yeah, one mo' thing -- Beau was a really cool guy. I had the pleasure of hanging out one afternoon with him and his band -- all super nice guys. He was on the Rounder Records tour and stopped to play in Grapevine TX, back in '95. I went and got him and his wife, Shelly, some barbeque. He invited me to eat with them on the bus, and it was a blast. One of the most memorable experiences I ever had. Steve Riley and Marcia Ball were also on the same tour. Marcia stayed on her bus, but Steve joined in on the barbeque. It was an allstar evening that I'll never forget!

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beau Jacque's CD

Rick isn't that what life is all about. Sharing good food and friendship.

Again thanks for the info on his CD Au Revoir, I ordered it last night.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beau Jacque's CD

Well stated, John. It's nice to have met you here, better yet -- to know you, and thanks for all your insightful contributions for us all.

R!CK

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!