Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Zydeco Joe

just heard on the radio that Zydeco Joe died here in lafayette Saturday...very sad to hear that..

see link above

Re: Zydeco Joe

God Bless Zydeco Joe. He rocked Saulieu two years ago when I caught him, playing, jamming with the other bands, dancing and meeting with the locals all 4 days.. great ambassador to Creole and Zydeco..

G.

Re: Re: Zydeco Joe

What a great loss. I only ever saw him once. I can't even remember the name of the venue, some fancy restaurant (maybe a Chinese place?) on Johnston Street. To my knowledge, he rarely performed outside Louisiana.

Here's the obituary from today's Lafayette Daily Advertiser:

Popular accordion player Zydeco Joe dies at age 64
Herman Fuselier

Funeral services are pending for musician Zydeco Joe, aka Joseph Adam Mouton of Lafayette, who died Saturday at Lafayette General Hospital. Mouton was a popular accordion player, known for hits such as "You Can't Rooster Like You Used To," "Poppa Jack" and "Jack Rabbit."

Mouton was 64. Syrie Funeral Home in Lafayette is in charge of arrangements.

Joseph Mouton, Mouton's son, confirmed Sunday that his father died from complications related to strep pneumonia. After several attempts to revive Mouton from cardiac arrest, he was declared brain dead Saturday afternoon. Mouton was kept on life support for 24 hours so his organs could be harvested for donation.

Mouton's death came as a shock to many in the zydeco music community. He had performed Nov. 10 at Rock the Moon, a KRVS listener appreciation party, held Nov. 10 at the Blue Moon Saloon. He also played Wednesday during the 21st Annual Thanksgiving Zydeco Food Drive at El Sido's Zydeco and Blues Club.

Cullen Washington of Lake Charles, his longtime producer, said Mouton was preparing to go back into the studio. His recent CD, "Black Cat" on Zydeco Gumbo Records, had become a best seller. Washington was ordering more copies for distribution.

Washington remembers Mouton as "a giving person" who often played for elderly residents nursing homes. Mouton was also proud of his Creole roots and the French language used in his music.

"What you see with Zydeco Joe was what he was," said Washington. "He used to tell me he might not be the best accordion player.

"But I used to tell him he might not be Keith Frank or J. Paul, but nobody could beat him at what he did. Not many could do the old school zydeco and the Creole French like he did. He was a natural guy."

Mouton was born Oct. 25, 1943, in rural Lafayette Parish. Although he played guitar as a teen, Mouton did not learn accordion until he was 45. A close friend, Robley Hebert, died in an auto accident and his mother gave the accordion to Mouton.

Dudley Broussard, a nursing home resident, showed Mouton how to play blues and old-style, zydeco tunes.

After mastering the instrument, Mouton formed his Laissez Le Bon Temps Rouler Band in 1988. The group played clubs and festivals from Lafayette to New Orleans, along with some out-of-state appearance.

Mouton recorded two CDs, "Jack Rabbit" in 2001 on Maison de Soul Records of Ville Platte, and "Black Cat" in 2006.

Re: Re: Re: Zydeco Joe

I'm stunned. What devastating news. I saw Joe in Saulieu with Glenn. He was one of the best. And looked so fit. I'd have said he was good for another thirty years.
That really is so sad.

BJ

he never met anyone he didn;t like

yes

he did seem healthy as a horse

he was, as glenn said, a true ambassador
for his culture

he played rubboard and accordion, sitting in
with zydeco t, my band, we all loved it
he did too

i;d say he was my friend too, but
that was probably nothing special for him -
i think he never met anyone he didn;t like

he really really liked being 'zydeco joe' too

i can testify to that

:)

!

wle

Re: he never met anyone he didn;t like

Whoa, what a sad,sad happening.
Even though I did not know the gentleman, I saw him last year at the Crawfish Festival in Breaux Bridge, and I would have never guessed he was the same age as me! I mean, not a grey hair in his head and no excess belly, very different from yours truly.
My condolences go out to his family and friends.God Bless his soul. 64 is too **** young to be meeting your maker.
Was his picture not the lead page on the Lafayette website?
JB

Re: Re: he never met anyone he didn;t like

Such a shame. I saw him one year back in the 90's at the SWLA Zydeco Festival. I was impressed that he *was* different than the nouveau thing which was gaining momentum then. After his performance, he just hung out in the crowd, shaking hands. I was lucky to have thanked him for his gift of music...

R.I.P. Joe...

R!CK

That is very sad news, A shock because he looked so young. I only saw him in a Documentary, and was very
impressed. I really liked his high energy music.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

just heard on the radio that Zydeco Joe died here in lafayette Saturday...very sad to hear that..

see link above

He was the attraction for me in Richmond Va a couple of years ago.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!