Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"tit monde"

I was listening to a variety of cajun and zydeco tunes this morning, and frequently, I heard the term "tit monde". Of course, I have heard the term frequently, but it occured to me this morning, that I have never used the term, and not being from cajun country have never actually heard it used in conversation,........ only heard it in tunes. I am of French Canadian "Quebecois" descent, and in my travels, I have not heard the term used. Would I be correct in assuming that it is a local, perhaps "Louisiana" coloquial term, very much like is peppered throughout the language in my local corner of the french world ?

It seems to almost always be used as an endearing term, although not always.

Examples :

"Chere 'tit monde"
"Oh 'tit monde"
"Bye bye 'tit monde"

Is there anyone from cajun country who can respond, and tell me if the term is actually still used in conversation to this day, and perhaps tell me in which contexts it is used.......... examples maybe.

Cheers,

J L Brunelle

Re: "tit monde"

You are correct, it is a it is a term of endearment. An english equivalent would be "little one".

"tit monde" - yes it is still used.

I have a Creole friend, and he calls his adopted step-daughter "tee mon" (anglicised phonetic spelling). So, it seems it is still a currently used expression.

-David

Re: "tit monde" - 2 cents on that,,,though Jr tells me to go 7 or 15

I've been lurking and learning here for a couple years and sometimes wonder why, of all the songs I like to sit and play, I havent seen discussion on "Tite monde" as I know it.... or really ever.

In any event, Tite monde is a track on "ZYDECO-the essential collection" compilation CD w/ this song by Geno Delafose &F/R/B from Rounder Recds...
I have always thought the song was known as My Everything, because that is what is in english in ( )parenthasis after the song name on the cover.
It sure it isn't a Zydeco tune and I swear is good for a beginner beacuae I felt like I could play it right away. There are a lot of tunes on that disc that have me convinced I can play...

Turns out from the notes in jacket of the CD that it is a C. Fontenot tune/song and those ( ) do say (little one) inside the CD jacket.... I suppose Geno's words give it the My Everything label for the version on CD ??

Is this a tune that doesnt get much attention or play in the traditional circles? I know it seems simple but it has a great feel...

Re: Re: "tit monde" - 2 cents on that,,,though Jr tells me to go 7 or 15

I always thought Boisec made that tune, although I understand the melody is given as Canray's. I still feel Boisec's accordion standing out just as much as the fiddle, provides a large part of the distinctive feeling in their arrangement of the tune. It is a pretty bluesy melody, and Canray's voice is great on it .

Re: Re: Re: "tit monde" - 2 cents on that,,,though Jr tells me to go 7 or 15

I've come accross at least two recordings titled Tit Monde. One is a waltz recorded by Iry Lejuene that you don't hear covered much. I think the other is a two step.

BJ

Re: Re: "tit monde" - 2 cents on that,,,though Jr tells me to go 7 or 15

"Tit Monde" gets a lot of coverage, but maybe not in traditional Cajun music circles. Since it was a Creole song, I am not sure it is particularly up the alley of the average traditional Cajun band, but I could be wrong.

About 15 years ago, Beausoleil did a nice rendition of it. I remember the first time I heard them play it at a festival. I danced to it and instantly fell in love with it - it is still a favorite.

In zydeco, "Tit Monde" was redone with a faster tempo and English lyrics and lives on as "Why You Wanna Make Me Cry". I have a 1980's recording of it by Preston Frank and Leo Thomas (it seems that they both took credit for it later on). But it really took off when Willis Prudhomme teamed up with Leo a few years later. You could make a good case that this is the single most popular zydeco song of all time, and is pretty likely to be played at every Zydeco dance. When I play it at dances, I sometimes throw in a verse or two of the original French lyrics just for fun.

-David

Re: Re: "tit monde"

Doesn't _tit monde_ mean quite a bit more than "little one"?

Doesn't it give the implication that who ever its being said to means all the world to the speaker, that the speaker's world goes no farther than their devotion to who its being said to?

or am I just too gullible when my husband speaks french?

Re: Re: Re: "tit monde"

I have understood it to mean something like what Penel explained...my little world...my everything...my all...On the question of if it is used frequently today, I can just say that I rarely hear it in conversation, but I do not speak French daily or regularly with the older folks, maybe they do use it often...but in my "little world" I don't hear "'tit monde" that often...seems like only the musicians use it, because like you say, it has been picked up by many different singers over the years.

I do hear things like "Mais, monde!" as an expression for something for surprise or disbelief...like we say in English--"Come on, now!" Or "Come on, people, that is crazy." Similar to "Mon Dieu!"

Re: Re: Re: Re: "tit monde"

I get the same idea Chris.

I dont hear it in conversation either, but maybe just because of opportunity. It is possible it was used more in certain areas and became more well known because of its use in music. And, it maybe one of those old phrases that kinda die off. That happens in every language. One of those unsolvable but interesting curiosities I suppose.

do hear things like "Mais, monde!" as an expression for something for surprise or disbelief...like we say in English--"Come on, now!" Or "Come on, people, that is crazy." Similar to "Mon Dieu!"
It may depend on area just as the dialect differs place to place. Here in Vermilion parish, I hear the above in almost every French conversation. I also hear "Bon Dieu!" often also. What a culture

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!