Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pronunciation? And Balfa Camp

Ok, I had a guy who should know here in Austin pronounced Doucet...Doo-set. I thought it was Doo-say. Don't want to shame myself if I go to Balfa Camp (PLEEESE,dear wife, PLEESE, can I go?) I know for the money she would much rather go on a cruise.

Re: Pronunciation? And Balfa Camp

John, I'm afraid you're going to listen to introductions, because in our area (Evangeline Parish) we say "Doo-set," but in other areas, it's "Doo-say." I know that Michael Doucet pronounces his "Doo-say."

Dowell

Re: Re: Pronunciation? And Balfa Camp

That's right, the way this name is pronounced often depends on the geographic pocket where they are from, but also their personal preference.

Around here in Nova Scotia & Atlantic Canada, Doucet can be pronounced both ways, like DOUCETTE or DOUCET.

Re: Re: Re: Pronunciation? And Balfa Camp

Michael Doucet and his family is who I was thinking of...so Doo-say for him. Otherwise, I'll listen to the introductions, as you suggest.

Re: Re: Pronunciation? And Balfa Camp

I'm curious. In Evangeline Parish (and other places where one finds folks with the last name _Doucet_ pronounced "Doo-set") is that by just the English speakers or by the folks who speak French as well?

Well, the guy that wrote that (my dad) is a French as a first language speaker. I would have wondered the same thing.

I grew up in Vermilion parish. I only heard Doucet pronounced DOO-say.

Touchet over there was mostly TOO-chet, or even TOO-check, never Too-SHAY.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pronunciation? And Balfa Camp

Neal, where in Vermillion did you grow up ? My inlaws are from Maurice.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pronunciation? And Balfa Camp

between Leroy and Andrew. Who are your in-laws?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pronunciation? And Balfa Camp

Randy & Tammy Maturin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pronunciation? And Balfa Camp

Oh yeah! I knew Randy and Ricky Maturin! That family lived on the Indian Bayou highway. Pressley Maturin was a musician in country-western bands a long time ago. Small world.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pronunciation? And Balfa Camp

That's them ! Ricky lives up in Colorado now, but Randy is still in Maurice. No doubt a very small world !

It is pronounced that way by both English and French speakers here, but very hard to tell how much influence English had on the pronunciation before I ever heard the name. French was my first language, but after the age of 6, English had big impact on my language and the way that I speak and it's very hard to tell how much.

Dowell

I have heard that at one time it was "illegal" to speak Cajun French in at least parts of LA. Could that be a big part of the differences? Of course, since Cajun French is a mix of at least five languages you would expect many pronunciation differences between it and european French.

Not having grown up speaking it, I must defer to "those who know".

While we're at it...

How about Chenier? The sleeve notes on my 1976 vinyl copy of Bogalusa Boogie say ' To all those who have written to us asking how Clifton Chenier pronounces his name, just listen to "SA M'APPEL FOU" and you'll hear it from the Boss himself'.

And he pronounces it 'shen-YEAH', but I'm pretty sure CJ says 'shen-EER'.

BJ

Thank you for the more explanation Dowell.
I was curious because I've noticed people tend to introduce themselves to me using what ever pronunciation of their name they think I can handle.
I used to be an interpreter for the Deaf. The Deaf tend to adjust the sign language they use to who ever they sign to too.

A side note, I had no idea how English my family had changed the pronunciation of my maiden name until I visited the country our ancestors came from
but when I got back and pronounced the family name "correctly" in front of my parents I thought they were going to die laughing.

C'est la vie.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pronunciation? And Balfa Camp

I never really thought about it, but some names have 2 definite pronounciations, french and english, like mine, but others, in La, are always pronounced in french, Ardoin is one. The real problem is when someone from La who is used to his name being pronounced in french leaves Acadiana and the pronounciation runs a wide gamut.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!