Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Buying my first Cajun box

I just discovered this forum. Right on! I also just got back from the Festivals Acadiens. I hadn't been to it in around 10 years. It hit me like a ton a bricks - I gotta get one of those Cajun accordions!

But I've been playing the piano accordion for awhile, and I'm not giving it up. Who knows if I'll be any good on the CA? So I hate to spend too much $ on the venture, at least at first, no matter how much love and drive I feel. Having said that, though, I ain't buying Chinese. Been down that road with the PA, ain't going back.

So what are my options? Real CA's from LA. are $1200-$2500. Hohner chinese crap is $2-300. One alternative might be a Gabbanelli King Cajun. They go for about $800. Anybody know anything about them?

Or something else? Is there such a thing as a used "real" Cajun accordion?

Much thanks, Jamey Hall

Re: Buying my first Cajun box

Welcome to the forum Jamey. Since you already play PA and are playing out, here's my two cents. Bite the bullet and get a La box either new or used if you can find one. You will be playing in no time and be ready to add it to your band. I have a Gabb and while it is fine for Zydeco when it is miced internally, acoustically it is a little on the weak side. Plus, they are not usually cajun tuned, so for cajun music they don't sound correct, IMHO. As you will see if you search for a used one, if by some small chance you ever want to get rid of your La. handmade, you can put it up on this forum and sell it for almost what you paid for it. Along with your box purchase, get the Dirk Powell two DVD instructional set along with both of Steve Riley's DVD's and Wilson Savoy's Accordion DVD.

Re: Re: Buying my first Cajun box

Thanks for the tips, Johnny Ace. I've already got the Dirk Powell DVD's on the way, didn't know about the others.

I'm afraid that if I buy a new handmade CA from LA., the "bullet I bite" will be the one my wife puts in me. She's already touchy enough about the time and $ I'm spending on music/accordions. So I'll have to ease into it.

If anyone knows of a good, Key of C used CA, I'd appreciate an e-mail, or my # is 479-502-2893 (that's my cell - no sense in alarming mama!). Since I don't know anyone on here, I'll have to check it out first, but I'd do that if it was my best friend, so no offense.

Thanks, especially to the lady(?)that runs this forum.

-Jamey Hall

Re: Buying my first Cajun box

I've played a Hohner 114, a Gabbanelli "Cajun King" and now own a "Le Capitaine" made by Danny Dyson of Big Lake, La. I got the "Le Capitaine" for 1K used and it is sooooooo much better than the other two. I would not buy a Gabbanelli again. Many people swear by them, right now I would swear AT it. I would prefer getting another Hohner and that is what Marc Savoy recommended I get to learn on. If you don't want to buy a real LA box, then get a Hohner 114. The feel of the keyboard will be much closer to a LA box than a Gabbanelli. It is tuned more wet than most LA boxes, but you can get pretty close to a Cajun sound you can just close one of the middle reeds.

Conclusion: get a real Cajun box if you can. If you buy a used one, you can easily sell it for what you paid. The same can not be said for either the Hohner or the Gabbanelli.

Re: Re: Buying my first Cajun box

Get a Hohner 114

Savoy has decent prices for new ones

Used around $300-600

Lots of good music has been made on Hohners
since 1857...

Having owned lots of accordeons

that would be my first choice..

I still have a 1950's Hohner 1 row

Re: Re: Re: Buying my first Cajun box

Welcome to the Board, Jamey!

Now leave. There's nothing here for you to see. This is not the board you were looking for...

Do not buy an accordion. It will consume your bank account and eat up all your time. You will end up divorced, broke, and trying to outwit Jeff aka Da Box Boss on this board.

Your best bet at this point is to close your browser.

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Buying my first Cajun box

dude what gives, why so hard on the newcomer. i think he just wants advice.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Buying my first Cajun box

I think he's just funnin'. Trying to head off the inevitable addiction.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Buying my first Cajun box

It is indeed an addiction, but one of the best you will ever acquire.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Buying my first Cajun box

I just hope it dont become illegal, I'd be a lifelong criminal.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Buying my first Cajun box

Sometimes humor doesn't translate... sorry Brian.

Yeah, that's what I was attempting. All it takes is your first accordion. You get addicted. I was also using a mild Star Wars reference. "These are not the droids you are looking for... etc." I was also pointing out that if Jamey is married, then his/her spouse should be prepared for his/her attention to be focused on the accordion. Also, this is an expensive habit -- accordions/bands/music. This board is kinda like... accordions anonymous. And this board is a GREAT place to hang out if you've got da feevah.

Again, welcome Jamey! I was not being hard on you.

Hope this clears my record for the day,

R!CK

huhuh,,,, hard on.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Buying my first Cajun box

gotcha now, sorry i read it wrong. my apologies

Re: Re: Re: Re: Buying my first Cajun box

Hey, I laughed my ass off when I saw your post. And it's probably sterling advice; if I had any sense at all, I'd follow it.

Meaning you can expect me back for a long time to come . . .

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Buying my first Cajun box

I believe that would be "sterling advice" and possibly Monarch advice and of course with a little Hohner advice thrown in for good measure...

Welcome to purgatory here's your one row

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Buying my first Cajun box

Yeah, while "sterling" wasn't accidental, it was still sharp of you to catch it, if you don't mind a measure of flat-tering.

Okay, somebody please stop me . . .

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Buying my first Cajun box

Good'n!!!

R!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!