Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Instructional Videos

As I mentioned in my earlier post regarding my recently purchased Grand Mamou accordion, I using the Dirk Powell videos as a learning tool. I find them very helpful. Does anyone have any recommendations for other instructional videos, and if so, what do you find different about them?

Re: Instructional Videos

The other Cajun videos out there include a double set of videos by Marc Savoy and a another by Wilson Savoy. I'm not counting the ones by the big publishers. Marc's compares favorably with Dirk's. I'd be interested in feedback on Wilson's offering.

Re: Re: Instructional Videos

Don't forget Steve Riley's Beginner and Intermediate DVDs.

I like all of them (Steve Riley, Dirk Powell, Wilson Savoy, Marc Savoy) for different reasons. The trick to them is that some "intermediate" dvds are more "intermediate" than others.

If I had to categorize these DVDs by skill level/difficulty, I'd put them like this:

True Beginner DVDs:
Dirk Powell's Cajun Accordion, Vol. 1
Steve Riley's Beginner Accordion

Beginner/Intermediate DVDs:
Dirk Powell's Cajun Accordion, Vol. 2
Steve Riley's Intermediate Accordion

Advanced Intermediate:
Wilson Savoy's Intermediate Accordion
Marc Savoy's Gospel Accordion to Marc, Vol. 2

The Steve Riley and Wilson Savoy DVDs are available through almena pictures (wingingit had the link in his post). Marc Savoy's is available at the Savoy Music Center website.

Write a letter to Santa and ask for them all.

Jude the Obscure

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!