Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trade a C for a Martin D?

I may have the chance to buy a Martin D at a fair price. Trouble is, as a beginner, my instructional Dirk Powell DVD is in C. I also sing mostly in C & G on my piano accordion. *(Nothing magical about that, they were the simplest keys for me to learn to play in)*

So if I get it, is anyone here interested in trading a C accordion for it? What kind do you have? Or maybe I should call Junior Martin about a trade-in?

Thanks, Jamey Hall

Re: Trade a C for a Martin D?

have junior re reed it from a d to c

Re: Re: Trade a C for a Martin D?

Wouldn't that be expensive, and tend to negate the savings over buying a new one?

Re: Re: Re: Trade a C for a Martin D?

It will cost between $425 to $500 to re-reed the accordion. (including the reeds)

DP

hi jamey

I have a Martin C, and intend to convert it to D. Alas i am located in europe, netherlands. Thanks to shipping and custom costs it won't be very worth while for a swap-trade deal, but if you're travelling to europe?? Mine is fairly new, mint condition, no rusty reeds (from former Texas owner; Louisiana quite ones often have rust traces on the reeds thanks to the clmate in some areas), and made with bocote wood.

But my sugestion is: don't convert yours to C; D is a very much used key, fiddler friendly and i use it a lot, especially if you like to play irish tunes. And for the conversion costs, maybe get another one in C. Ask around f.i on this forum. Or if you have some one to do a conversion job, we could swap the reeds only, if not, maybe i can buy your D reed set. Mail me privately then ?!? .....

regs, nout

Re: Trade a C for a Martin D?

I think there was some mention of key shifting software here some time ago. That would let you play your songs in C, shift it to D and keep your D accordion. You might google key shifting software.
Good luck.

Re: Re: Trade a C for a Martin D?

Jamey,
It's been my impression that accordions in D are actually in higher demand than those in C.

Since everyone starts out in C and then wants to branch out, there are tons of hand-made boxes in C, but there aren't nearly as many in D.

So, just keep in mind that the D box may actually be a more precious commodity. It would almost be like making an even trade of a Corvette for a Chevette.

At least, that's my impression based on prices I've seen lately.

JtO

Exactly. It is normally harder to find a used D box and they demand higher prices. You likely could sell the D and then buy a C box and have money left over.

Ask Glenn if he would trade you. He has several C Boxes.

change pitch

J,

Try to change the pitch of the DvD into D. Maybe there is a audio soundtrack which you can change with a software program. That's cheaper.

Gus

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!