Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
which song did you learn the quickest?

I started listening to "Les Tracas de Todd Balfa"
about two weeks ago, just listening.
even when i was not playing the cd, the song was still in my head.
This evening i put the cd on, grabbed the box, and after a very short search i was playing along....

It felt great, very nice tune.

To some more experienced players two weeks may sound long, but for me it is very short

Wilfred

Re: which song did you learn the quickest?

Not sure why, but "J'ai Passe Devant Ta Port" was very easy for me. It is still my favorite song to play. "En Bas Du Chene Vert" also came pretty fast. Waltzes are always easier for me, though "Jolie Blonde" took a while.
As far as two-steps, "Walfus" wasn't too hard and "High Point Two-step" just required building up the speed and perfecting timing. Still don't really have "Johnny Can't Dance", but I can't say I've worked on it as I should.

Re: Re: which song did you learn the quickest?

"Shave and A Haircut Two Bits".

...and then...

My first song(s) was a scad of Beau Joque tunes, so you're probably requesting Cajun, rather than zydeco?

So... that would've been "Back Door" aka "La Porte d'En Arrière".

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: which song did you learn the quickest?

Last week I downloaded the Liberty Theatre Show via KBON Members page, ..the Show had Bonsoir Catin and Corey Ledet on the Bill.

Corey's opening number was Chere Las Bas ( Dear One Here, Dear One There ).I was inspired to learn it as the structure didn't seem too complicated but it fairly motored along and was real catchy.
I then found the same song on Geno's La Chanson CD....even faster version.

So..with Geno's help, I started the practice and I seem to have it down to a point where a couple of my Band members are coming to my small studio to attempt to lay a demo track down on Mini Disc etc.

Start to possible finish about 2 weeks.....in real practice time just a couple of hours or so.In my own small way I'm trying songs that have repetitive licks or structures...that way the whole song seems to come together faster...sometimes not! )

We'll see when I play it back if I play it as well as I think I can!! .( Corey and Geno need have no concerns about me out playing them....we are in totally different leagues ...LOL!! )

Re: Re: Re: Re: which song did you learn the quickest?

I agree that "J'ai Passe Devant Ta Porte" is my favorite also and the first I really learned. As for learning, I don't know jack about keys and music for that matter, but most of what I can play I learned by ear. For me it's the easiest way. Sure, the dvds and such are great, I just seem to learn better on my own like Wilfred mentioned.

Re: which song did you learn the quickest? how about singing?

I think I learned to sing "Flame dan 'Fer" the quickest and of course play on accordion too.
How many of you play and sing at the same time occasionally? I'm finding it easier all the time...at least through certain passages.
It's lot's of fun.
Kirk

Je l'ai rencontré (Eddy Lejeune) after hearing it in my car a few times. So first in the ears, then in the fingers.

Gus

Re: Re: which song did you learn the quickest?

La valse du Pont d' amour.

Even quicker, but I always forget that I learnt it. Pont is like another waltz (opelousas) A part is like many other waltzes (mme Soustaine). So before I know I end with another than I started with.

Gus

I love waltzes, but playing them is not that easy IMO
Singing is also fun, but for now I only do it at home, when there`s no one around, the cat doesn`t seem to mind.

Wilfred

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!