Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking for a beginner

Hey everybody,

I am looking for a good beginner accordion on key of C. Wondering of anybody has one they are willing to part with.

Josh

Re: Looking for a beginner

Look for a Hohner 114C. They come up on Ebay occasionally (one for sale right now: see link #1 above).
:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270199268990&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017

Savoy music center sells them new at around $550. Best price I know of. It's what I started on and what Marc Savoy recommends. Just don't get an Ariette or any other cheap chinese box. It'll make learning more difficult.

Re: Re: Looking for a beginner

That's the way I was thinking about going. I just don't like those bass spoons, looks like they would be hard to play.

Re: Re: Re: Looking for a beginner

The bass spoons aren't a big deal. Buttons are better, but the transition from spoons to buttons is an easy one. A 114 can also sound both wet and dry: you just close the second middle reed to get a dry "cajun" sound. With all stops open, it has a great old-time wet sound. It's a very nice instrument for the money. Many professional players keep one around.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Looking for a beginner

everyone hates me for saying this

but i still think chinese for under $175 with case
is one valid way to go
hey, it's 1/3 the price of even a hohner
don;t expect either one to sound like a
a $1600 hand made though
you could always sell it for $100 later

wle.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!