Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Interesting...

...how does one then get music from a CD to an iPod?...the software included with my iPod requires 'ripping' the CD to a computer file - then it updates the iPod...

...and they wonder why sales are on the decline....

Re: Interesting... frustrating perhaps

Doc... whew don't I know your frustration.
Ya gotta have kids that are in a differant zone.
I got this new RCA MP3 player for Christmas.
Well as is was, the youngest boy and my wife loaded up that thing for me through windows media from my laptop. I am now listening to Hank III straight to hell. I am looking forward to having them load some of my Cajun CD's for a wide selection of my fav's. Amazing things. Good luck Doc

Calling Tom Quinn:
Speaking of Hank III ... I am reminded how cool it was to sit at your steel guitar and have a brief crash course, thanks for that (good memories) .. also that national guitar you now have would be something you may want to go to the music store and check out Hank III - "love sick, broke and driftin".. and also "stright to hell"... this stuff brings you to my mind musically for some reason... perhaps a road that some may have lived and recalled through this music done up by Hanks grandson. Off to shoot some pool w/ that 27 yr old boy ... later.

Re: Interesting...

...I'm very sorry for what now reads as a useless post...

...I neglected to refer to the link - regarding an apparent lawsuit that's been filed indicating that transferring music from a CD to your own computer can be treated as a criminal offense...

Re: Re: Interesting...

This nonsense has gone on for years. They tried the same thing when cassettes came out, and then CDs. Unless the law is rewritten, they really don't have a case for stopping you from duping your own stuff for your own use. They try to tie it in with file sharing, but that's apples and oranges, a diversion. . I'll never understand the mentality of trying to stop something new instead of embracing it. History has proven you can't stop the tide from coming in, and it never dawns on them that they could find new ways to make money from it - but no, they keep trying to dress up the Pinto. I remember years ago, writers in NYC threatened a strike if the newspapers brought in computers. They'd probably threaten a strike now, if they tried to take them away.
Accordion related subject matter: I like my accordions
Seve

Re: Re: Re: Interesting...

Having read that article ...

ASCAP & BMI have a big enough chore making sure they collect the annual dues from business establishments (dancehalls, bars and radio stations) and events boasting canned or live music, than creating a litigation on small fish.

I say; if it is your cd which you purchased (you paid the dues) put it on your Ipod or Mp3 player and enjoy it from another form of technology.

Maybe you can't stop the tide, but you can put up a levy. (Until the levy breaks and the water comes in.)

So what you are saying is not to build the levys in the first place?

A lot of people might argue with you about that...

Happy New year!

Well, the RIAA can take the position that making personal copies is a violation, but they won't get anywhere with it - they are just blowing smoke and they know it.

The fair use doctrine has been upheld again and again, going back to the days of VHS and audio cassettes. As long as I don't give someone else a copy of something I have, I am on firm legal ground.

-David

Are you buying the CD or the music on the CD? If you are buying the music transfering it to another form of player should not be a problem.

If that was the case, would downloading pay per song become illegal too?

Better yet -- What if I want to archive my deteriorating, out-of-print music collections that exist only on cassettes and vinyl -- thereby creating electronic files of these recordings so that I can retire the antiquated equipment required to play only [these] tunes, and transfer them to something more useful, such as a CD or MP3/computer player?

There's a ponderation!

R!CK

Re: Interesting...

I have a Zune and it works pretty much the same as an Ipod. I have ripped just about all my music onto it (holds 30 gigabites). It is really very easy to do and the computer will automatically update the handheld device when it is connected. I have cajun music (and some others) running all the time. I also got an fm broadcast attachment and I can play everything over my car stereo. Whole lot better than the radio on long trips. I never download music off the internet

I also have most of Big Nick's instructional video clips on the Zune. I could put Dirk Powell's on also, but didn't want to take up the space.

Also: I have...

Got this for Christmas: a digital turntable with which I can transfer all my vinyl records to my computer, burn Cd's and put them on my Zune also. Does 45's, 33's, and 78's!!! I am wired for music!!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!