Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A little different-Bobby Gardiner

I know its not Cajun, but thought some of you may like to see the Irish play a one row accordion.

Happy New year Everyone.... Ed

Re: A little different-Bobby Gardiner

Nice Ed, Like him. Didn't he make a whole cd with one row music?

I think that the lower notes don't sound too well on a one row. The reel (more higher notes) sounds better IMHO. Also my experience with one row Irish playing is that it is more difficult when using a thumb strap. And I think it is to be seen on the video too.

Same link has some more very nice Irish music, sung and played (two rows included). thanks for sharing.

Gus Happy New Year too.

Re: Re: A little different-Bobby Gardiner

Very cool...

Thanks Ed ~

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: A little different-Bobby Gardiner

Nice music and he's playing a Hohner 114 with out the grill guard attached.

Re: Re: Re: Re: A little different-Bobby Gardiner--and his "stops" on his Hohner

Also note the "high tech" rubber band on the four stops--no doubt to keep them from falling down...I know mine did and I used to use a rubber band just like he is doing! Notice how he had to pull up on all the stops before he started playing...those Hohner stops used to get VERY loose (they were metal, by the way)...maybe that was the source of those Larry miller comments mentioned on the board some time ago. Maybe Larry was just "gun-shy" he was aware of the problems people used to have with the Hohners throughout the years...that was the only thing we could get before locals started building. Perhaps he didn't want his accordions to have the same problem. I know that there was talk even 25 years ago about not fooling with the stops too much for fear that they would get loose like those Hohners that we had to deal with for years...and then within our tradition, if you change a stop setting it would probably be to stop the bassoon and that is all...but 99% of the playing is usually done with all stops open. For the record, I have never had a "native" box give me trouble with the stops getting loose...and I play with all sorts of configurations of stops and move them up and down a lot...some times in very "non-traditional" ways. The slides for the stops are wooden in these "native" boxes of mine that have no loose-stop problems.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A little different-Bobby Gardiner--and his "stops" on his Hohner

Good observation, Cliff!
I didn't see it.
Gus

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A little different-Bobby Gardiner--and his "stops" on his Hohner

Saw it now, very high tech. Sorry for mentioning you Cliff, Chris.

Gup

You've got a great site.

That settles the question of wooden vs metal stops for me.
The grill on the 114 is so cheap looking I would take it off as well. Might even try and paint the flappers - probably gold - and maybe the end board as well- black.

Though I love the conversions Bruce did.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!