Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I was on TV to show my accordions last summer - Clip on YouTube!

Last summer, I was contacted to be part of a cross-country show that features French Canadians throughout the country (outside Quebec) who share their passion.
A TV crew came to my place in Halifax and filmed me for several hours. Here's the final cut that went on the air last month. The clip is on Youtube (link #1).
What do you think?

Re: I was on TV to show my accordions last summer - Clip on YouTube!

Dude~That's awesome! Nice vocals, too, mon ami! Thanks for sharing!

R!CK

GREAT!
I couldn't understand everything you said, but I could follow it. 8 minutes on tv! How did you feel when you saw yourself back on screen?
(The brown one, what kinda accordion was that? Looks like mine)

Gus

Re: Re: I was on TV to show my accordions last summer - Clip on YouTube!

The brown box is the Acadian (Marc Savoy) in D. The red is the Bon Cajun (Larry Miller) in C.
It's always tricky to be on TV. You never know how the editor will do with all the material they collected, and what portion they'll show... It was okay over all. Nice experience. Thanks for watching. :-)

Maz

That was great. I really enjoyed it.

Thanks very much..... Ed

Nice playing and talk!
I noticed that the announcer was named Cindy Royer. Royer is a family name I am familiar with around Rayne. If you know the song Chère Alice, they were singing about a woman named Alice Royer!

salle Royer

Neall, wasn't there a salle (dance hall) Royer which was in a song of an old lady in the documentary J'etais au bal?

Gus

Re: salle de danse Royer

Gus,

Could be! I don't own the DVD and it's been years since I have seen that documentary.

neal

Re: salle Royer

It was Odile Falcon who was singing about.
In the song "La Reine de la Salle"
And it was la salle de Paul Royer.

Re: Re: salle Royer

Great, Ron.

Thanks and best wishes.

GUs

Bravo, Maz!

T'a vraiment fais de grands progres!

Ah, la TV Quebecoise...toujour une belle animatrice. I miss it!

Nick B

Maz:

Great video! Hearing you speak french made me home sick for patates râpées.

peace,
Griff

Re: Re: I was on TV to show my accordions last summer - Clip on YouTube!

Greff: Patates râpées ha ha! Where are you from anyway?

Nick: merci, oui, j'ai beaucoup amélioré ma technique depuis Balfa '06. J'avais 0 répertoire à l'époque, alors que maintenant j'ai environ une vingtaine de chansons dans mon carquois.

Re: Re: Re: I was on TV to show my accordions last summer - Clip on YouTube!

Ahhhhh.... rappies pie, chicken and rabbit and pork and lamb and plain and ground beef and an extra serving, please!

Maz, my wife and I feasted on this daily over a summer as we travelled up and sown the french coast. Staying mostly near Claire, Saulnierville, Comeauville etc. What a summer! Your pronunciations brought back pleasing memories.

peace,
Griff

Re: Re: Re: Re: I was on TV to show my accordions last summer - Clip on YouTube!

Of course, les bonnes râpures de la Baie Sainte-Marie!

Were you around during the Acadian fest in August? http://www.baiesaintemarie.com/festival/
That's the best time to be there.
Did you eat at Chez Christophe? Where do you live?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I was on TV to show my accordions last summer - Clip on YouTube!

Hi Maz:

we were at Gran Pre' on the day of Assumption (August 15) that summer. What a great day-- solemn, joyous, somber, and exciting all at the same time.

I don't recall Chez Christophe--we ate at so many places and met so many wonderful people.

We live in Erie MI. Eastern end of Lake Erie, north of Toledo OH. On a good day, I can leave Michigan and go to Ohio and raise the IQ of two states. LOL

peace,
Griff

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Speaking of Grand Pré...

Speaking of Grand Pré, here's a clip featuring an excellent interpretation of the song Évangéline (link #2).

Excellent! And great singing there, cowboy! I wish I understood French, I would've liked to have understood your comments. Thanks for posting this.

-Jamey

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!