Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Guitar Style Preferences for accordionists, and interesting connections

Accordionists - do you like playing against the "open style" guitar techinique (brushing back and forth eighth notes on open chords with a 'tit fer kind of rhythm), or the "closed style" (bar chords on quarter notes; alternate beats damped)?

I'm kind of my own guitar player these days - laying down a guitar part on a looping station, and then picking up the accordion for a ride. I have not mastered this technique enough to be allowed to leave the house yet, and the guitar player never brings the beer...

Who should I be listening to for guitar technique?

Interesting semi-O.T. connections: Maz's you tube TV appearance also gave access to a Charlie Thibodeaux performance in Austin, and dang if it isn't Steve Doerr - Austin songwriter and string bender extraordinaire (LeRoi Bros.) sitting in on acoustic guitar! I was just teaching myself lyrics to one of his songs last night...cool.

And Tommy mentioned Levon Helm's Dirt Farmer CD and the great guitar and fiddle playing (Larry Campbell), and the CD I play right after Levon Helm is Linda Thompson's - and there's Larry Campbell again! The good ones get around, it seems...

Happy New Year!
Steve Blais

Re: Guitar Style Preferences for accordionists, and interesting connections

We often talk about the "triangle-stroke" when we talk about guitar-playing.
Our guitar player sometimes plays only downward on the strings and we called that the "hak-stroke" and hak is Dutch for chop wood.
If you want to see a example of playing rhythm, you can search for Wayne Hancock on youtube.
He's playing with his bare hands, without plectrum.
After three hours playing he really feel pain in his fingertops.
I have seen a lot of ways of playing rhythm-guitar in Cajun music.

Re: Guitar Style Preferences for accordionists, and interesting connections

I prefer the open-chord, old-time Country style a la Balfa Brothers; however, there are certain songs that just sound and feel better with the choke chords.

I play a one and uh two and uh one and uh two pattern on two-steps which sounds like bass, down-up bass, down-up. The "up" is usually just the high string.

On a waltz, I play a one, two, three pattern but not the usual bass, strum, strum. I play a bass, strum, bass which is meant to emulate a walking bass line.

It all really boils down to what you like. Check out Jim's collaboration with a human beat box on Myspace.com

Re: Re: Guitar Style Preferences for accordionists, and interesting connections

I learnt to play (Cajun guitar)straight forward in standard tuning : with plectrum, bass, stroke, for 2step and bas, stroke, stroke for waltz. No picking (alas) because the guitar must set the beat, that's what I am told by my accordion teacher. (and that's also what I hear the most ( I think Cleoma Falcon did it this way too?)

Gus

Re: Re: Re: Guitar Style Preferences for accordionists, and interesting connections

Guess it all depends what style of accordion-driven music you want to create. Cajun bands tend to be acoustic, ergo, acoustic guitar is an important part of the triumvirate necessary to deliver [that] sound.

Zydeco requires the electric guitar played with an R&B rhythmical fashion and cleanliness, often introducing some tasty jazz chords like 7ths, 9ths -- even 11ths. Another thing about zydeco guitar is the fact that while it may seem boring to some guitarists, it's absolutely crucial to the rhythm -- often taking over the role of foundation -- normally reserved for the bass guitar. Zydeco is not unlike reggae in this approach.

If you're into creating something outside the realm of Louisiana-istic flava... well, then, the sky is the limit, really. At this point, you're breaking all the practiced rules and should be considered bunk of the third kind... or.... should you, now...?

Ha!

I've always been a fan of bands and artists that mix it up. Innovation is the mother of evolution! Let's keep this blue marble spinnin',

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Guitar Style Preferences for accordionists, and interesting connections

I definately prefer hearing open style. I want to hear the guitar, not the clinkety clank of muted strings, IMO.

But, I have been nearly scolded for playing this way at jams, so I tend to not bring my guitar out to real jams.

My dad plays with the open style and even does some country style walking on notes in between chords sometimes.

As Ganey mentioned, you can hear my dad playing an open style on "the bow-legged two step" (aka choupique), on the link above.

To those who listen to it, my apologies for stepping outside the norm!

you'll see what I mean. I had a friend of mine do human beatbox (mouth/throat/nose sounds with a beat behind it, projected from the lips) and I played my E accordion.

We recorded that live and then my dad overdubbed some guitar and triangle.

Every bit of percussion, aside from the triangle was made by a human. Insane stuff!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Guitar Style Preferences for accordionists, and interesting connections

Think DL Menard...heavy on the bass runs.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Guitar Style Preferences for accordionists, and interesting connections

"The bow-legged two step" is the coolest tune I've heard so far this year!

Genius idea!

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Guitar Style Preferences for accordionists, and interesting connections

Cheers, mate. I put up different cut today, from our beatbox session.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Guitar Style Preferences for accordionists, and interesting connections

Dig No.2 -- nice! Kinda reminds me of the stuff the Beach Boys did back in the early 70's... on the Smiley Smile and Wild Honey LPs.... minus the accordion, of course!

R!CK

Re: Choked!

OK, I'm going to put in my vote for "choked" style.
(Too many responses about open!

For acoustic Cajun trio, I really like the choked sound. If you are playing trio, the guitar becomes the bass and percussion.

A lot of "jangly" open guitar playing just fills up all of the space and obscures the rhythm and interfers with the fiddle and accordion.

Now add in a bass and triangle, and the guitar can then open it up some. But for trio, I like the choked style.

What is my pet peve is guitar players that "pick away" at it like a banjo. C'mon, leave some space in the music. (then pick away when it's your time to take a ride!)

But, that is just my personal opinion!

DP

Re: Re: Choked!

That cinches it for me. I'm off to choke my guitarist...

R!CK

Re: Re: Choked!

On the banjo or dobro, choking is pushing or pulling the strings to get a kind of a glissando-effect.
Is the choked style the same technique or is it with damping the strings ?

Re: Re: Re: Choked!

Like banjo. it's easier to use barre chords, comtrolling the sustain by lifting up a bit. You can do it with 1st position chording, but it works best as more of a palming technique. I'm sure there are other ways (including the right ones ), but this has worked well for me.
Steve

Re: Re: Choked - yeah, me too.

I like the choked style too. It emphasizes the rhythm better, and fits the guitar firmly in the rhythm section where it belongs.

-David

Re: Re: Re: Choked - yeah, me too.

yep
choked/damped

if there is no stop to the note, there is no
rhythm really

just whanging them all open and letting them ring
makes a big indistinct wash of sound

wle.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!