Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Base buttons wrong side on this box?!

Spotted this box on ebay. Looks like someone has put it back together the wrong way? Or maybe someone knows something I don't?!

Regards

Andy W

Re: Base buttons wrong side on this box?!

I think first option.
Gus

Re: The whole box is "upside down."

Re: Re: The whole box is "upside down."

I bet someone installed the end frame onto the bellows wrong.

air button?

Chris is probably right. Could the single spoon be an air button?

Gus

Re: air button?

It's a special box for a left-handed player who can also play with his right hand upside-down.
That's a very tricky technique.

Re: Re: air button?

Yes,very tricky, a left handed player, who can play with his right hand upside-down...and can handle two air buttons

Wilfred

Re: Re: Re: air button? RARE ACCORDION EXPLAINED

Wow, you rarely see these and never in such good condition! This is the rare “sweetheart melodeon” that was popular in Pomerania and Upper Silesia late in the nineteenth century. The instrument was played by two musicians. They would sit facing each other while each played their respective right-hand side of the instrument with their right hand.
This was especially popular at the time because, as you know, beginners often find the left-hand side to be the most difficult to master. With this arrangement, both sides effectively became the right-hand side and no one ever had to play with their left hand again.
This instrument was briefly in vogue as a courtship ritual. Young couples would while away hours on the porch making music. Although some found the new fad scandalous at the time, the practice gained the approval of anxious parents who felt reassured that nothing indecent could be happening as long as they heard the music played by their daughter and her suitor. That’s why this was also known as the “chaperon melodeon.”
Sadly, as the courtships progressed and their playing skills improved, many couples could not resist the urge to pull out all the stops and that is why so few of these fine instruments survive today.
I’m surprised you didn’t know this.
Claude

Re: Re: Re: Re: air button? RARE ACCORDION EXPLAINED

peace,
Griff

best explanation I have ever heard, Claude. Even if it is not true, it´s great. Gonna check it on Wikipolska

Gus

snix.....
peace,
Griff

Re: Re: Re: air button?

So there is only one bass spoon? does he play the melody with knife and fork, any idea?

suG

harminoka

It is not Polish (...) but a real German harminoka.
Gus

Re: harminoka

Boy oh boy...Rick Reid is really rubbing off on all you guys!

Re: Re: harminoka

I love it!

Re: harminoka

Great explanation !
It's a great chance to check relations between two people.
I think it's just as good as putting wallpaper on the wall or riding a two-persons-bike with two persons offcourse.

Re: Re: harminoka

I just read this thread. I'm laughing so hard I'm crying!

I needed that!

R!CK

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!