Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
La Pointe aux Pins

On the song 'Tit Galop pour la Pointe aux Pins', Adam Hebert sings:

'La plus vielle de la bande, elle est la plus vaillante,
mais la plus mignonne, elle a les yeau canailles.
Mais dit pas a ta Mam que j'ai goutte ton bec.
Mais dis pas a ton pap que j'avais pas bonne tete.
_____________________________ la vie (?)
Tit galop, mais pour la Pointe aux Pins.
Chere cousine, mais donnez-moi cette-la.
etc.'

Can Anyone give me a little help with that 5th verse?
Jambalaya Band sings it that way but Mamou Playboys just repeat the Tit Galop verse twice.

Also,is Pointe aux Pin pronounced more or less phonetically as Pwaann ah Paaa, with a lot of nasality.

Many Tinks.
JB

Re: La Pointe aux Pins

I dont have the song with me to help with that verse, but if noone else does, I'll get it later.

Pointe aux pins is pronounced "pwant oh pan" (nasal n on pan")

Cousinne Lilly

That line should be in the notes to Early American Cajun Music, Yazoo cd 2042 where the first recorded version was titled Cousinnne Lilly. I will check for you tonight! It's something like "C'est la mienne pour la parie de la vie (or la veille?)"

Re: La Pointe aux Pins

These lyrics are on the booklet of the Jambalaya Cajun Band.
They also write about the composer Adam Hebert and his original version, which I hear now has the same lyrics.
Hope it helps.

La plus vielle de la bande,
C' est la plus vaillante,
C' est la plus mignonne,
Mais elle a les yeux canailles.
Dit pas a ta Mom
Que j'ai goute ton bec.
Et dis pas a ton pap
Parce qu'il a pas sa bonne tete

Tu seras la mienne
Jusqu'au parie de la vie
Tit galop, mais pour la Pointe aux Pins
Chere cousine, mais donnez-moi cette-la.
Et si cette pas cette-la
Moi j'en veux pas du tout

Re: Re: La Pointe aux Pins

Ron has it right.. Even my untrained French vocab and ear can identify the words. Bryan, thanks for the clarification on the pronunciation. Again, Thanks Guys. Always get the right answers with the Braves.
JB

Cousinne Lilly lyrics

FWIW, here is Ann Savoy's transcription of Cousinne Lilly, recorded in 1929

La plus vielle de la bande
mais c'est la plus vaillant
C'est la plus contente
elle a les yeux canailles
Mais dis pas à ta mom
mais j'ai goutté ton bec
Mais dis pas à ton pop
mai si j'ai pas bonne tête
C'est la mienne
mais au praririe de la vie
'Tit galop mais pour la Pointe au Pins
Chère cousinne
Mais donne-moi, donc, celle-là
Mais si c'est pas celle-là
moi, j'en veux pas du tout

Pronunciation for Pointe aux Pins

Just to clarify on the pronunciation of "Pointe aux pins" I don't know how to write in phonetic, but the word "pointe" is not pronunced like "pwant" as in "want", but rather as "pwaint" as in "p+w+aint". For the word "pins" the "s" is silent (plural of pin) which means "pine" (the tree), and it is pronunced "pẽ" like the french word "pain" which means bread in english...

Re: Pronunciation for Pointe aux Pins

Thanks again, gentlemen. I am almost to the point (no pun intended) where I can almost sing this song. Still sounds like French with a Texas accent, but around here, nobody knows whether I'm wrong or right, so what the hey. Got to give it my best shot.
Muchas gracias otra vez.
JB

Re: Cousinne Lilly lyrics

Neal,

There's also a version from Moise Robin with Preston Manuel. I read that in Raymond Francois book Ye Yaille Chere. Do you know who was the composer of this song ? Adam Hebert was born in 1923 and you write about 1929 as a year that the song was recorded as Cousinne Lily. I'm so curious, because this song made me to be very interested in Cajun Music about 10 years ago. It was the version from Steve Riley.

Re: Re: Cousinne Lilly lyrics

I don't know if he composed it, but the man who recorded it was John Bertrand. He lived in Prairie Ronde near Opelousas. 1891-1942. His profession was blacksmith, according to the little booklet that came with the CD. Bertrand and a guitarist named Milton Pitre went to Chicago in 1929 to record for Paramount.

I would love to hear Moise Robin's version with Preston Manuel. Does your book say which record company? I would guess one of the J.D. Miller companies. I even saw Moise Robin and Preston Manuel play on TV a long time ago. There used to be a TV show featuring Cajun music on KADN in Lafayette hosted by Alex Broussard from Happy Fats' old band. When Moise played he also used his foot to animate a sort of toy monkey playing cymbals-- he sort of looked like one of those one-man bands with all those crazy instruments surrounding him. I've never seen another accordion player do that.

Re: Re: Re: Cousinne Lilly lyrics

I found this about Moise Robin

Cajun musician Moise Robin was the second accordionist that fiddler Leo Soileau had a regular duo with. The two began performing together in 1928, shortly after Soileau's first partner, Mayeus LaFleur, was shot. Robin was 17 at the time he and Soileau began playing dances. Sometimes they also performed as a trio, with Soileau's wife Joyce accompanying on guitar and vocals. Within a year of forming, the duo recorded; and while they were away recording, Robin did not eat, and slept in a chair, in order to save all of the money he earned for a T-Model Ford. After their return to Arnaudville, the duo moved to Opelousas and hired a manager, Elton Doucet. Robin played more dances and recorded two more times with Soileau before he wanted a break from the musician's life and quit. ~ Joslyn Layne, All Music Guide

At link#2 also a lot about Moise Robin.

I can't find the label or the song.
I will search for more

I found this resource very usefull.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!