Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Just moved to New Orleans: go to Lafayette to buy accordion?

I just moved down to New Orleans, and should be able to get set up with the Naval Reserve Activity and employed until June or so.

While I'm here, I'd like to learn some squeezebox. Is there any (diatonic) accordion opportunity in this city, or is it all out in the smaller towns, Eunice, or Lafayette? Are there any jam sessions or other such places where it'd be fun to bring along a squeezebox?

I play a little 1-row (picked up a bit more when living in Newfoundland), though I don't know too much of the Cajun repetoire.

I checked the NOLA music shops, but barely any accordions. Should I ask around here to buy a decent newbie C box (ideally $700 or less), or drive out to Lafayette to shop around?

I sold my D and G 1-rows when I left Newfoundland, but I still have a Hohner 1-row Bb from the 1920s. Bellows and exterior are in great shape, a few reeds came loose (and are stored separately), but the remaining melody keys are in tune. Bass is decent but a bit rattly, and chords are sour. Should I try and sell it here, trade it for credit at a store in Lafayette, or what?

Forgive all the miscellaneous questions, just trying to feel the local scene out.

Re: Just moved to New Orleans: go to Lafayette to buy accordion?

Yes, go to Lafayette, regularly.

If you are looking for a Cajun box in that range and want new, now get one of Larry Miller's hybrid boxes. If you have time to look around you may find a used box in that range or think of it as an investment. It will hold it's value lots better than a Hohner.

As far as New Orleans goes, there's Tipatina's on Sundays, Rock'n'Bowl, Mulate's (overpriced) and a smattering of other events. The few jams are mostly invitational. Go to Lafayette!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!