Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Quebequois box for sale

What do you think of this box for sale at Buttonbox?
see links #2 and #3.

Made in Quebec by a guy named Caron. D tuned, equal (not dry "just"). The stop knobs are non-functional.

Probably a very nice box for Quebequois or Irish.

Re: Quebequois box for sale

Cool looking box... those stops make me want to order an espresso!

R!CK

Re: Quebequois box for sale

John,
Don't forget the CFMA dance Saturday night at the Hermann Sons Hall in San Antonio. Junior Hebert playing. See ya!
JB

Re: Re: Quebequois box for sale

At $950, it looks like good value. But the stops are some ugly! Nice box overall though.

Re: Re: Re: Quebequois box for sale

Yeah, I think the stops are a bit much. I'd want to change them to wood or even take them off altogether.

I'd think about buying it, but the equal temperment slows me down.

I plan to be at the dance Saturday.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Quebequois box for sale

To Bryan: this accordion shows a good example of the type of treble keyboard used on Quebec built boxes.

I've played that box!

It is a very nice box made by one of the "small" builders. The stops are non-working if I recall correctly. It has very nice tone, similar to Messervier's boxes. This box would be very good for someone wanted to play French Canadian music or Irish music on melodeon.
Cheers,
Andy

Re: I've played that box!

Andy, I am beginning to believe that the style treble keyboard they use may give less trouble with sticking in dry weather than the standard style used on La. boxes. What do you think?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Quebequois box for sale

Yeah, I was noticing that. I also notice he puts hardware on the bellows frames but not the outside frames. The valves are also much thinner.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Quebequois box for sale

Just a few examples of how they do things a little differently there in Quebec. Actually I always did like the style of the Melodie boxes( not shown) and was going to try and introduce a similar style for La. made boxes. If this is a 4 reed box and I suspect it is, It could be retuned for cajun music if one desired.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!