Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Edirol check

Ganey and those interested in the quality of the Roland Edirol R-09 digital recorder -- here ya go. Click link #2 above. The quality of recording is remarkable.

R!CK

Re: Edirol check

THAT is friggin' amazing! I don't care what the Zoom sounds like, I am getting the Edirol. The separation is great. How far away from it were you?

Oh yeah....great playing!

Re: Edirol check

Slid on the headphones. Wow! Thats incredible sound. Pretty awesome squeezin too!

Re: Re: Edirol check

Thanx... I set it about 3 ft. away, accordion level. I can't wait to record a live show with it -- you can adjust the input levels and more. I've ordered the tripod stand for it which tilts it up at an angle. Can't wait to get it. As soon as I got home from work, I just took out the box (Falcon F cuz it's sort of a rare key) and hit record -- hit stop and plugged it into my Mac. Bingo -- MP3 was there and I threw it on my website. Took all of maybe 8 minutes. Simplicity... gotta love it!

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Edirol check

Found this review for the Edirol :

http://www.sonicstudios.com/r-09revw.htm

Be interesting to hear how it performs at a LIVE gig .
Our Sony MD player with stereo head couldn't cope with all of the sound imbalances and venue environmental noises.It's quite good in a controlled environment though.

Darryl., Australia

Rick,
Can't seem to make the mp3 link work , must be my Server or 'puter playing up....but I've visited your web site, great drivin' Zydeco style sound ...bet you get 'em up 'n dancin' at gigs.

I will be in Louisiana in early April this year....where COULD you be playing ?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Edirol check

Yeah, looking forward to using the Edirol at a gig -- I'll report back. Thanx for the props on the band, it's a blast! April is a bit far out to make any guesses about our gigs (wish it weren't like that!) We're playing as much as we want in Feb., and then only one gig in March, thus far. It'll change. Plus, by then we'll find have our first CD available.

Man, Australia... What a cool scene that must be! Ever think about blending some C/Z textures with tribal Aboriginal riddims and even... a didge? Seems like it could be pretty cool! I still remember the photo that was posted as the masthead of this board of your band." Creole Cowboys" if I remember correctly... if the crackpipe hasn't clouded memory. Y'all are cool!

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Edirol check

Rick,
Thanks for your comments.

Just for interest, we did a Charity Gig at a major Club venue that had a Sound Engineer and commercial multi-channel sound and light mixing desks.

We took the stereo signal from the desk and put it onto a Mini Disc just on the table adjacent the desk.

We then took the recorded disc to a Sound Engineering studio, got them to optimise the levels somehow ( beats me how they do it ! ) ,we picked the eye teeth out of the songs ( best/ worst/ average )and came up with a 5 - 7 song selection.
We had also video taped the 12 song set from a single camera and had that synced to the stereo mix.

As a result, at a VERY low cost .. ( think the sound engineer at the gig just wanted a a bottle of Jim Beam and was delighted. The sound enhancement people wanted just a couple hundred bucks ), we ended up with a CD/DVD package that we've sold plenty of at gigs over the last year or so..Titled it as a " LIVE at The... " package.
No..it's not as good as a studio recording by a long way but good enough to present in the context of LIVE with all the side chat and crowd noise etc...oh, and mistakes!! oops!
Anyway..most folks just want our autographs, a dance, a chat and that personal touch ....the CD/DVD's probably only got played once or twice.

AND..yes..we have a didge player in the band..he's also our Rubboard player ( we call him Scrubber ).....didgeridoos...love 'em or hate 'em, but he gets lots of response from the fans at gigs...they love it. We've only got 2 or 3 songs where we've included it but it always goes over well.
...can't say I like them that much..way too musically limited for me...but there is ' something' about them...especially when he imitates bird and animal sounds with it.

Keep me posted on April for your band.

Regards, Darryl.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!