Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Maruice Jam Session

Well, I went to a jam session at Touchet's in Maurice, LA this afternoon and had an awesome time. It happens every other Saturday and it's an all "French" jam... in other words, don't show up and try to sing a song in English, they'll shut you down real quick ! Not to get all mushy on you guys but while there they had a man by the name of Willis Thibodeaux playing the accordion, he's probably somewhere in his 70's but when I say he has the time of his life when playing... I honestly got misty eyed watching him because he had a smile on his face that you couldn't get off with a wire brush, dancing around and playing and singing his heart out... To me, that was what it is all about, I hope one day that people will be able to see that happiness in me that I saw in him today.

Like I said, sorry for getting sappy on you guys, couldn't help myself.

Re: Maruice Jam Session

I know that feeling.
Years ago, I used to see a little old man and his wife come to the Rodair Club on Sunday afternoon. He walks in with his wife on one arm and a walking cane in the other. He hobbles over to their table, leans the cane against the wall. He dances with his wife all afternoon. At the end of the dance, he gets his cane and hobbles out to the car.
It's like, all his pains and troubles were forgotten while the music was playing. It always brought a smile to me when I saw them.
Jude

Wish I was there to see, hear and feel it.
A few years ago Willis Prudhomme was here in Holland and he did some gigs in pubs after the festival from Raamsdonksveer.
He also was about 67 years old, but he was always laughing and playing with so much energy.
He had all the time the time of his life.
And it was real !!!

What's wrong with a little sap.

There's nothing wrong with a little sap.

Last year I went a jam in a smoky little bar in Opelousas with my dad. There were the usual run of good players on all instruments, but the highlight came when I noticed a very old man walking very, very slowly with a cane in one hand and a 60 something year old lady(daughter I guessed) on the other arm helping him walk during a break in the music. My first thought is he's probably going to the bathroom and I wondered if he'd make it across the dance floor before the music started again. But he headed for the bandstand. Then I thought, hmm, gonna request a song. Then he sat down at the band stand. Now I'm getting very curious as to why he would want to get up from a table on the edge of the dance floor and go sit at the bandstand on the other side of the dance floor. Then someone carried an old accordion over and handed it to him, and he transformed. His playing was beautiful. Dont know if his playing was the best of the bunch that day, but I dont remember the others, and I think he probably was.

So Rusty, you aint the only sappy one here.

How big was the turnout? There is one in Erath the opposite sat. at Cafe' Musee' (sp.?) Its a really small place and is usually really full. I believe Mr. Thibedeaux play at that one also.

Re: Re: Maruice Jam Session

Smaller than normal this weekend, however Mr. Joe Vice was playing there and he usually is the facilitator for the jams at the museum.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!