Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Richard Hot Step

Just finished watching a video download courtesy of KBON Radio of The Liberty Theatre, Eunice, Lousiana " Rendez Vous Des Cajuns " Show featuring Joe Hall and Robert Jardell.

Joe Hall ( who I think is a really good accordion player and one who plays in a Creole/Cajun style that's potentially achievable by us mere mortals )started the show with a song that was announced in French as the 'Richard Hot Step'

Does anyone know this song titled as such and where I can locate a band who has recorded it on CD ?.Is it a re-name of another song? I'd really like to learn it.

Thanks, Darryl, Australia.

Re: Richard Hot Step

Horace Trahan recorded it on his Ossun Blues cd, which is one of my favorite cd's.

Re: Re: Richard Hot Step

Thanks Bryan,

Yep...Horace Trahan is just about the best going around IMHO....and I know JoanieBlon thinks the same.

I have one of his CD's ( not Ossun )and some really good Liberty Theatre video of his gig. Effortless playing in any genre it seems.
He seems to have had a few issues to deal with in recent years but it was heartening to see him at The Liberty on a couple of occasions.
Darryl.

Re: Richard Hot Step

The Richard Hot Step that Horace Trahan plays on Ossun Blues is pretty close to Johnny Can't Dance. Hot Step is an unusual title. I can't think of too many with that title. Are you familiar with Mamou Hot Step by Maurice Barzas? Without hearing Joe Hall's number, I wonder if that's it or even a different one all together?

I like Joe Hall's playing a whole lot!

Re: Re: Richard Hot Step

Thanks Neal, I think you're onto something there.

I actually have a Liberty Theatre Show video download with the Jambalaya Cajun Band playing the Mamou Hot Step as a Special..no vocals..... Reggie Matte played it just great...and of course Terry Huval doing some great fiddle work.

Then I flashed over to the Joe Hall video of the Richard Hot-Step and, hooey, those two songs are REALLY close in structure...probably the same tune !!! but it's just the different phrasing and playing style that makes it a little confusing.

This/those songs have that up tempo repetitive phrasing with the accordion line predominantly on the pull.. It's great to have songs like that with a groove that musicians can work themselves into... AND even more importantly for me, the dancers.
The trick it seems is to know when to stop !!!

Thanks for the tip...I MAY just have started to learn two songs without knowing it!! LOL.

Darryl.

Re: Re: Re: Richard Hot Step

I went On a trip to France with the Komenka dance Ensemble in which they did a number using the Mamou Hot Step. The recording by Maurice Barzas was used. I played accordion for Komenka in that number and find that it is diffent from Richard Hot Step. Btw I never could play it as fast as Maurice. I still have the push pull pattern and will look for it in our stored items. Ben Schneck, a music major from N.O. and Jamie Barzas (Cajun Tradition)help me with the pattern.

What's a Komenka?

Is there a special way to clean it?

Does it make a good sauce?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Richard Hot Step

Where and when in France ?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Richard Hot Step

Komenka it the name of an ethnic dance ensemble out of New Orleans and we. the wife and I, went with them on a 3 week trip to France in the summer of 1995 and again 3 weeks in 1997. Each time we were bused all over south France to perform. The first time we were based in Ganet and the second time in Le Puy en Valey.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!