Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Uh,oh - that warranty thing again.

I've no wish to aggravate anyone's ulcers, but I have to make another reference to the Bon Cajun warranty notice. Actually, it's a question that stands alone, warranty or not.

Point number 2 says ' Avoid playing at the (sea) beach because salty damp air can rust the steel reeds. This is not significant damage but requires scraping the reeds and retuning ( about $45.00 ).'

Nobody would argue with that ( would they? ), but would you play at the beach? Maybe not. Would you play on a pier? Or a dockside? Or ( this is what I really want to know ) on a boat?

Back in 2003 we were invited to make up the numbers on a week long charter on a traditional sailing barge with a bunch of musicians who do it every year.

At the time I didn't have boxes I cared so much about, and the thought of rust hadn't crossed my mind. The regulars played 2 row DGs, fiddles and concertinas. The boxes were only Hohners but the concertinas were tasty old Wheatstones and Crabbs etc.

We enjoyed the week and have agreed to charter it ourselves with another bunch of friends. But now I have boxes I care about.

What would you do? Has anybody any experience of anything similar? I'm no longer in regular contact with the original bunch, but probably ought to ask them if they had any problems.

Whaddya reckon?

BJ

Re: Uh,oh - that warranty thing again.

Are you considering becoming a pirate? If so, stick with the concertinas. I've never seen a pirate refer to a warranty... just an accord.

Savvy?

R!CK

Re: Re: Uh,oh - that warranty thing again.

Pirates refer to it all the time, their warranTEEEEE

Maybe you can get in touch with one of the several bands that play on the zydeco cruises. I'm sure they'd give you some advice. My guess is keeping the accordion clean and airtight in its case when not playing. Doubt very much if they're bringing Ariettes with them.
Steve

Re: Re: Uh,oh - that warranty thing again.

Rick, me hearty, you're giving me ideas. Who could I model myself on? Blackbeard? Too much grey. Calico Jack? Carencro Jack, maybe. I've got it. With my size 12's it must be Jean LaFeet.

Will you sail under the Jolie Roger with ol' Cap'n BJ, or will ye take the King's shilling and I'll put the Black Spot on ye. Or the (Hohner) Black Dot.

David, are you telling us you took an accordion on honeymoon with you? Are you still married? She must be a saint!!

Seriously, thanks to all for your advice. I feel a lot easier about it now. I'll just take care and replace them in cases after playing.

BJ

Yep, that's what I'm sayin'

Yep, had it along for the honeymoon. That accordion used to go with me on every trip in those days, and the honeymoon was no exception. I don't think I played it much the first couple of days...

And, yes we're still married - 15 years and counting. She may even have encouraged me to bring it along. But it fits in you see, because we fell in love on the Cajun/Zydeco dance floor. I am one of those rare musicians who actually dances! What a concept.

-David

Re: Yep, that's what I'm sayin'

That's a heartening tale, David. Not long into our marriage we lived in picturesque rural squalor without the benefit of electricity, so, not having TV or even radio, I got out my old 2 row Hohner which I'd had ten or twelve years but never done much with.

Liz's reaction was a classic piece of female logic. To whit - 'For Pete's sake, put that thing away 'til you can play it' !!!

I didn't dare try again until she started learning guitar.

BJ

Maybe I just had dumb luck, but I did it twice with no trouble. I twice brought an accordion to a beach type environment for a week. First time was on my honeymoon in Hawaii. I had the box along, and on several occasions we had moonlight strolls on deserted beaches. And several years later, I had a box along on a trip to Cape Cod, and played on the beach at night around a campfire.

That was before I learned better, but my accordions seem to have suffered no ill consequences. As time went on, each of those boxes went in for tuning, and I did not receive any stern reprimands.

Not that I would recommend doing it...

-David

Speaking strictly from what I have experienced, I've not had any reeds suffer that damage, but others have told me that they did have a problem. I have played on the beach many times. I suspect that there could be two reasons not to do it...the salty air...and the airborne sand. I don't think the latter would result in any sort of build up on reeds.

I live approximately 30 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. Roughly half of that distance is covered by salty marsh. Here in Louisiana, we experience south winds the majority of the year, so I imagine the long term effects of salty air would be equivalent to playing on the beach from time to time.

As an FYI, builder Danny Dyson lives right on the edge of that marsh, and builder Jude Moreau lives closer to the Gulf than I do. Maybe one of them could share their experience.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!